Thread: Bari Ebony vs Quintessence Eclipse

erinate Guest

Default Bari Ebony vs Quintessence Eclipse

Looking for a nice unprotected Black Leather to use on two recliners for a dedicated Media / TV room.

Would be used on the #1092 "Marcus" recliner polished Nickel Nails.

Sat in the Marcus.... comfortable however I did not like the Kip Charcoal that the dealer had on the floor.

Another consideration is the #7160 Monaco Lounger. Have not seen this one, however looking at the dimensions and appearance, it looks to be similar to the Marcus.

Both chairs would be done in Black with polished Nickel nails.

Bari Ebony or Quintessence Eclipse? Marcus or Monaco Loungers?

Appreciate opinions and advise.

Thanks!

Default Re: Bari Ebony vs Quintessence Eclipse

Quintessence has been dropped from the line, there may be some existing stock left, but it would require a phone call to check on it.

Monaco has more room side-to-side and the back is more relaxed in the pitch angle. Marcus is more upright and a tighter fit in the seat. All depends on what YOU like. In my house, it would be no question - the Monaco for me.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Hi, Duane.

The answer to this question might be obvious, but why did H&M drop the Quintessence line?

TXCajun

Not really sure - probably due to slow sales. Most customers buy finished leathers and are gun-shy on fine anilines. And most dealers tell them they have to avoid those kinds of leathers.
    Duane Collie

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Not really sure - probably due to slow sales. Most customers buy finished leathers and are gun-shy on fine anilines. And most dealers tell them they have to avoid those kinds of leathers.
    Thanks, Duane. I do understand that line of customer thinking as Grade 4 leather is more expensive. I also understand that my husband and I have a lifestyle that made it much easier to choose a Grade 4...kids out of the nest, no pets, and do most of our eating at the table. However, I know some others with kids, pets, etc., also chose a Grade 4 and have no regrets. I am not claiming customers should have no concerns! I am simply saying some others who live a rougher lifestyle have found their Grade 4 nicely holding up.

Does H&M have to contract to purchase a quota of hides in the lines they offer?

It seems a shame that Quintessence has been discontinued. I seem to recall that you were a big fan.

TXCajun

I have Quintessence on my home office chair, it's a wonderful leather.

The furniture business at the level that Hancock and Moore operates is not only a functional one (making solid, good pieces) but a stylish and artistic one as well. It's fashion - and business. So they lead the trends, not follow, and that applies to not only frame styles, but to covers as well (Leather and Fabric). At least 80 leathers a year are dropped, and another 80 added, it's in a constant state of change and flux. Some of that is fashion/style, and some of that is due to sales volume of the leather and vendor consistency of the product (delivery times, steady quality, etc). There can be a number of factors that result in a leather being dropped.

Often, if a dealer such as myself really wants to hang onto a particular leather, they will keep it in the line. That's what happened to Antique Sunset Burnished. That was dropped, and I objected so they kept it in the line and its still available, but not swatched. I haven't had anyone order it lately though, so it may be slipping away.
    Duane Collie

Thanks, Duane. Interesting and understandable. I figure I simply assumed that H&M maybe kept a few hides of some of the lines on hand, but that mostly when they received a customer order, they then ordered the specified hide.

TXCajun