Thread: First post, questions and thank you!

GregJobs Guest

Lightbulb First post, questions and thank you!

First and foremost, thank you for making this forum!

I've been searching for a good quality sofa/loveseat/something-or-other for a while now and I came across this forum and the many level-headed contributors has given me a sense of confidence. So, here's the story...

Several years ago we bought Klaussner from a local dealer, waited a while for the delivery and long story short, the couch is a demon from beyond and has to go.

I have several lower back/hip issues that have been exacerbated by said couch and it's soft/sagging awfulness and now want a properly constructed, firm and comfortable couch.

I've been going around to all the big retailers with my list of specifics, hardwood, not plywood, corner blocks and preferably dowel joinery (which I think I read was good), the springs seem to be a point of contention, some places say Pirelli webbing, others say 8 way tied springs, some say sinuous, flexsteel, and for the cushions I've head arguments for and against EVERY type of foam, spring core, down this or that. My head is spinning, so here's the question.

I want a couch with a firm seat (from what I've sat in it seems 2.5 density high resiliency foam is a good reference for HOW firm it should be) with a firm back, I think one store called it a tight back(?), and I don't want a deep seat, in other words the backs of my knees shouldn't be hitting or on the couch. After the firmness and depth, I honestly don't care about anything other than wanting that firmness to last a LONG time, which I'm hoping is possible?

What might we have to buy for this, what can folks recommend to go for, and especially to avoid, and lastly, what's this going to cost?

Any insight is appreciated.

Default Re: First post, questions and thank you!

How tall are you and what is your inseam? And appx weight?

What you want is a firm deck, not soft - that makes it easier (much) to get out of. Without question, the gold standard for suspension is 8-way hand-tied springs. At the worst end (and I would not own it) is Pirelli Webbing - that stuff is a disaster. In the middle you have a whole bunch that are OK, but not great. Drop in spring grids, Flexsteel's torsion spring, No Sags, etc. Very, very few companies make solid wood frames now - you can count them on one hand. While solid hardwood is still the best, truth be told a correctly made Plywood frame is not all that bad. You will not get dowel joinery in plywood, that's solid hardwood only. And solid hardwood makers are more costly on average.

Perhaps consider a tight deck, they are very firm. You don't mention if you want leather or fabric, or a price range. Cushion density itself can be changed and adjusted from better makers, but you don't want it so firm you are sitting on a park bench when done.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

GregJobs Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    How tall are you and what is your inseam? And appx weight?

What you want is a firm deck, not soft - that makes it easier (much) to get out of. Without question, the gold standard for suspension is 8-way hand-tied springs. At the worst end (and I would not own it) is Pirelli Webbing - that stuff is a disaster. In the middle you have a whole bunch that are OK, but not great. Drop in spring grids, Flexsteel's torsion spring, No Sags, etc. Very, very few companies make solid wood frames now - you can count them on one hand. While solid hardwood is still the best, truth be told a correctly made Plywood frame is not all that bad. You will not get dowel joinery in plywood, that's solid hardwood only. And solid hardwood makers are more costly on average.

Perhaps consider a tight deck, they are very firm. You don't mention if you want leather or fabric, or a price range. Cushion density itself can be changed and adjusted from better makers, but you don't want it so firm you are sitting on a park bench when done.
    I'm 6'2 but short waisted with a 32 inseam, 275, a 5 year old and a dog too.

I was thinking microfiber for wear and spills.

I looked at a flexsteel dealer and liked the torsion springs but it's plywood so I was hesitant.

Our budget is dependent I think on the quality of the product. The devil Klaussner was like $2500.

Best bang for the buck is Hancock and Moore's Just in Time program that you can read about here. Top construction, hardwood frames, 8-Way Springs and around what you pald for that Klaussner in most models. Also, Leather is 4x more durable than fabric and far easier to clean.

A microfiber is 100% Polyester, so while easier to clean it does not last longer. Better are Performance Fabrics - made by Sunbrella and Crypton. They are still Polyester but infused with repellent chemicals. Where are Microfibers were the 90's, Performance fabrics are the 2010's.

You can do a Flexsteel. They are nothing to write home about, but neither will they fail on you - just stay with the US-made Flexsteel and not their imported Latitudes line.

I'd suggest a 24 oz density cushion core (18 oz is standard, 21 oz is extra firm, 24 oz is one step further) based on weight and your wanting more supportive. Avoid any down-based cores, they will be too soft.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

GregJobs Guest

I should clarify that the Klaussner was a sofa, chair, ottoman. I'm guessing we got what we paid for and $2500 now will be just a couch?