Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for new leather sectional - decent brands?

TAM63 Guest

Default Re: Looking for new leather sectional - decent brands?

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    I nor anyone else can definitely tell you what companies are good, or bad, because in order to really make a judgement, I have to be able to see the pieces in person and examine how they are built. And build standards change all the time among makers. Rather, what you need to do is use the resources here as to what makes a good piece of furniture then go and see for yourself. If you are trying to do it only on-line its difficult. I can say without hesitation, the gold standard for leather upholstery that surpasses anyone in the marketplace is Hancock and Moore. That doesn't mean there are not other companies doing a good job - there are. However they are the best at what they do and if you can find a selection in their price point, you will not likely regret a purchase from them. Note that all their best deals are on sofas, not sectionals.
    Thanks. Finding something that I like, in person, has proven more difficult than I thought. I am open to in person or online.

One issue I am having is style - Hancock and Moore, for example, seems to be pretty traditional, and unfortunately that is not a style that I'm looking for, nor one that goes well with anything else in my house.

El Ran, for example, seems to have top grain leather, and uses the reclining mechanism I have seen you recommend. But it's made in Canada. Plywood frame - I'm still trying to determine what kind of plywood.

Default Re: Looking for new leather sectional - decent brands?

Plywood in and of itself is not something you necessarily need to avoid. Over 90 % of all upholstery made today is plywood based. The key is really how its put together, and the suspension. Refer to this thread on construction:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...nd-discouraged

Ultimately you look for a balance between price and build quality - then style if you want to factor that in.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.