Thread: Help With Decorating a Bar and Restaurant

TomJo Guest

Question Help With Decorating a Bar and Restaurant

Hello furniture forum,

At the moment I am living in the beautiful country Cambodia where I and a friend have decided to take over a guesthouse and spend the next few years here. The guesthouse has had better days, to say the least, and for the past 2 months, we have been renovating. We are now at the point where we need to be choosing some colors and furniture to fit but neither I or my friend are very fashionable and we were hoping you guys could help us out by pointing us in the right direction.

We have gone for a modern look and feel to the design of the bar/restaurant and we will be aiming our marketing at "Flashpackers" (modern day backpacker's with too much money haha) so the colors would have to be bright and inviting. My main problem is, it doesn't matter how hard I try when I put colors together it looks terrible so a little advice from you guys of what goes with what would be awesome.

Once the decoration is planned and on the way I will then be moving on the furniture to match the design and theme. If there is any other information that you guys need please comment below and I will get back to you asap.

Thanks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	painting-decorating.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	10104

Default Re: Decorating bar/restaurant, help

Without photos of the space to be decorated, I don't see how anyone can make a recommendation.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

My suggestion with these is always just google for an idea and look at pictures of rooms to see what you like and go with that type of color scheme. From your post it is not really clear to me, are you decorating the guest house for yourself, or for backpackers, or are you decorating a restaurant? Either way just google something like that and look at the image results (example).

TomJo Guest

Sorry I wasn't so clear. We are decorating a backpackers guesthouse and starting with the bar & restaurant. i will go through some Google images and find some colors I like then you guys can te;ll me if they go togeather or not.

thanks for the replies

You can start by looking at the color wheel. Try searching "color wheel compatibility" or something similar and follow the leads. For example colors opposite each other on the wheel will be complimentary, so will three colors spaced evenly around the wheel. Good luck.

TomJo Guest

I will go have a look for a color wheel now! Thanks for the tip

TomJo Guest

Default Re: Help With Decorating a Bar and Restaurant

This was the bar before we had started fixing up the wooden roof and got rid of the pool table etc.

Name:	blissful-guesthouse.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	10156
    Everything is sanded down now and it's a bare room.

Name:	blissful-restaurant-and.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	10157
    If you guys need any other images let me know but the room is pretty much square.

Hi, TomJo.

What a fun project! Thank you for sharing.

Please, understand that this is strictly my opinion. No right or wrong. I would love to see that space painted a creamy white. Not beige...white. Leave the ceiling the way it is. Replace those doors with distressed painted wood doors and/or shutter doors. Maybe a deep peacock blue. The bar might do better with some uniformity of appearance. It might be fun to clad it in old metal such as galvanized sheeting, possibly. Then, over the bar, hang some simple pendants. I'm thinking maybe five or seven drops with small, galvanized shades with soft-light bulbs, maybe the kind that are painted silver on half so that there is no glare falling on the bar and customers. Can you get simple rattan furniture with creamy cushions? Then, use the throw pillows for your disciplined pops of pattern and color. Nature colors are good because they are soothing. If the doors are a deep peacock blue, then go with some cushions that include that same color, plus leafy green, maybe a deep orange in the mix?

Again, that's all opinion. I'm middle-aged and much prefer soothing, serene environments. So, no offense if this is not at all what you're looking for!!!!!

TXCajun

TomJo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TomJo View Post
    Hello furniture forum,

At the moment I am living in the beautiful country Cambodia where I and a friend have decided to take over a guesthouse and spend the next few years here. The guesthouse has had better days, to say the least, and for the past 2 months, we have been renovating. We are now at the point where we need to be choosing some colors and furniture to fit but neither I or my friend are very fashionable and we were hoping you guys could help us out by pointing us in the right direction.

We have gone for a modern look and feel to the design of the bar/restaurant and we will be aiming our marketing at "Flashpackers" (modern day backpacker's with too much money haha) so the colors would have to be bright and inviting. My main problem is, it doesn't matter how hard I try when I put colors together it looks terrible so a little advice from you guys of what goes with what would be awesome.

Once the decoration is planned and on the way I will then be moving on the furniture to match the design and theme. If there is any other information that you guys need please comment below and I will get back to you asap.

Thanks

Name:	painting-decorating.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	10104
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCajun View Post
    Hi, TomJo.

What a fun project! Thank you for sharing.

Please, understand that this is strictly my opinion. No right or wrong. I would love to see that space painted a creamy white. Not beige...white. Leave the ceiling the way it is. Replace those doors with distressed painted wood doors and/or shutter doors. Maybe a deep peacock blue. The bar might do better with some uniformity of appearance. It might be fun to clad it in old metal such as galvanized sheeting, possibly. Then, over the bar, hang some simple pendants. I'm thinking maybe five or seven drops with small, galvanized shades with soft-light bulbs, maybe the kind that are painted silver on half so that there is no glare falling on the bar and customers. Can you get simple rattan furniture with creamy cushions? Then, use the throw pillows for your disciplined pops of pattern and color. Nature colors are good because they are soothing. If the doors are a deep peacock blue, then go with some cushions that include that same color, plus leafy green, maybe a deep orange in the mix?

Again, that's all opinion. I'm middle-aged and much prefer soothing, serene environments. So, no offense if this is not at all what you're looking for!!!!!

TXCajun
    Your opinion sounds great. I love the brigh cream white with cushions to match then the galvonized metal! I would never even come close to thinking of that. I am picturing it now in my mind and it's looking pretty awesome and it will stand out from anything in the area, just what we was looking for. Also some nature colours is a must, we have a huge beer garden that people love to sit in, being able to incorporate that into the bar/restaurant will be perect.

Now it's my tern, I am going to head out and get a list of everything I need to make sure I can get all the above. i will be back with all the info I have later today. Thanks so much!!