Thread: Hancock and Moore Recliner construction

CharlesMorrison Guest

Default Hancock and Moore Recliner construction

What is it, specifically that makes Hancock and Moore recliners better than, say, Bradington Young? What kind of springing is used? If many manufacturers use the same Leggett and Platt mechanism what allows H-M to command a higher price? Just about all I know about furniture has been acquired from this wonderful forum but I am trying to put my finger on what there is to consider other than the mechanism.

Default Re: Hancock and Moore Recliner construction

Good question! As a dealer for both brands I can tell you there is a significant difference in build and tailoring in stationary pieces between the two companies, however when you get to the recliners the gap narrows considerably. Nobody builds a better recliner than Hancock and Moore, however B-Y does a nice job on them as well. First off, a recliner is really a frame built around a mechanism, and mechanisms fall into two categories, decent ones and junk. Decent ones are made by Leggett and Platt, along with Ultra Mech (the junk ones are Chinese knock-offs). H&M users L&P on 95% of their motion pieces, and B-Y uses Ultra Mech on the majority of theirs. Effectively there is little to no difference between the two. When you get to the frames, they are both good. The H&M is a little more solid and sturdy, but not by leaps and bounds, maybe 15% to 20%. Sturdier is better. Tailoring is always nicer on the H&M, but honestly most customers don't even notice it. There are certainly more styles and more complex designs in the H&M lineup than B-Y, but that doesn't make them better made, and I also think pitch angles (comfort) is somewhat better in H&M as well, but again, that's not a construction variable - just a preference.

I think one of the best recliners I have ever come across for the money is this one, it hits all the marks at an amazing price point:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...ther-9896-95-A

What do I have in my own home? A H&M 1044 Sadler is what I chose. Interesting enough B-Y knocked that one off and made a clone of it called the Alta.

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/Produ...h-Leg-Recliner
    https://www.bradington-young.com/alt...formation.aspx

They look alike in the photos, but they don't sit alike. The H&M to me is far more comfortable and the workmanship difference is noticeable to me. So yes, the H&M will be $ 800 more from the Sadler to the Alta perhaps, using a similar hide. I usually keep a recliner 25 years (my Sadler is going on 11 years old now) and 25 years divided by $ 800 is: $ 32 a year difference to have what I like, other than what will just make do.

So I would say look at both, try both. See what works for you. Both will last, both are decent. Get the one you like the best!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

CharlesMorrison Guest

Do the recliners have springs or do you sit on a block of foam supported by webbing?

All recliners have integrated springs, as they have to be able to move with the mechanism, either a no-sag or a drop in spring grid is most common. Similar to this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1973-WallHugger.jpg 
Views:	606 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	10110
    Duane Collie

CharlesMorrison Guest

I have sat on B-Y recliners in the past and last week I sat on some H-M recliners. The Hancock and Moore recliner seemed to have a very much smoother recline action.

I did not see a H-M power recliner. Where do they locate their power recline button? I liked the B-Y location inside the right hand armrest.

Is the extra cost of a power recline option in this level of recliner a good investment? Is it just a convenience option or would it somehow lengthen the useful life of the mechanism or have other advantages?

I am primarily considering the Parkway 1076 Hancock and Moore recliner. Other than size, are there any drawbacks to this model?

Thank you very much Duane for all the information I have gleaned from this forum and for sharing your expertise.

Duane has said the power models are more reliable than a manual mechanism, because they are not subjected to the pressures and torsion of people manually pushing on the different parts to recline and sit up.

As far as the button, the couple I have seen from H&M have a little remote thing that is on a cord, that comes up through the rear of the cushion by the right hand arm rest. I don't know if they are all like that.
    Last edited by Danw99; 07-28-2017 at 08:39 PM.

Power button locations vary by type of recliner in H&M (and others, too). Some are switches on the inner arm and some are levers just under the edge of the seat cushion (which I prefer). A few are corded remotes, but those are rather clunky.

Yes, there are less issues with mechanisms in power units than manual ones. Be sure to put a surge protector on the outlet if you are going plug-in (not needed with battery power).

1076 Parkway is an excellent unit, its for large men - so if you are under 6' 0" be aware of that.
    Duane Collie