Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for new leather sectional - decent brands?

TAM63 Guest

Default Looking for new leather sectional - decent brands?

Hi, I am new to this forum, thank you in advance for the help

I have an old Softline leather sectional from around 1999, Italian leather. It has held up very well, but is at the point where it needs to be restuff, seat cushion leather replaced - or I need to purchase something new. I've contacted a few upholsters and leather people, but the ones around here seem to be very unreliable. So at the moment, I am look for something new.

I like transitional to contemporary I guess. I need a sectional about 10 feet x 12 feet, with a curve corner.

I think some of the Natuzzi sectionals are very pretty, but I am doubtful of the quality.

A local store showed me El Ran sectionals - I sort of like some, but again am wondering re. quality, and they seem expensive. These models have exposed stitching (baseball) on the seats, which I don't think I can live with - I want leather because I can clean it easily (I have pets) and I think the stitching would just end up being dirty.

Online, I wondered about Palliser... Leather Furniture Expo seems to have some made for them, that talk about hardwood frames etc - but I don't know made by who?

Can anyone suggest some places / websites / brands to look at, and anything else I should look for while searching?

Default Re: Looking for new leather sectional - decent brands?

Without knowing a price target / budget it's difficult to make any kind of recommendation. You can buy a sectional from $ 2,000 to $ 12,000. Quality doesn't come cheap.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

TAM63 Guest

Thank you. Well $12,000 is a bit much, but I'm not looking for the cheapest either. Under $10,000 anyway, and a bit less would sure be nice.

TAM63 Guest

I kind of liked the approx. look of the Elran Finn or Elran Brady, and Natuzzi A450, just to give an idea of the sort of style I'm finding attractive.

You would want to post photos of the styles you are interested in, no one will know what they are otherwise. You can't expect forum members to go hunting for them, honestly.

Most that say that have "hardwood frames" are not really telling you the real story. They are not "Solid Hardwood", they are selling "Engineered Hardwood". What is Engineered Hardwood? You'll know it by its more common name : plywood.

Solid wood frames with proper 8-way hand-tied construction will put you into Hancock and Moore, Century Signature Line, Leathercraft and that's about it. Those will all be in the $ 10K range in a top grain leather. As you move into the Plywood frame your selection opens up to companies such as Bradington Young, Century Cornerstone, American leather, Classic Leather and many others, with prices falling to the $ 6K to $ 8K range on average.

Stay away from anything made outside the USA is my recommendation. And do not buy a BiCast or Bonded leather or anything with Split leather in any circumstance. Those will typically be sectionals in the $ 2k to $ 4K range.
    Duane Collie

TAM63 Guest

Thank you. I'm happy to provide any information/pictures desired, I don't necessarily expect anyone to do anything in particular. Some models, there are photos on the net, I guess I can 'swipe' them - some of the others I have had a hard time finding pictures. I will try again.

I'll check out the brands you mentioned. I have been trying to make sure the leather is top grain (right?). Even the Canadian companies are not good?

TAM63 Guest

Here is a Natuzzi I find attractive (just shown for style). I would select a different configuration, and doubt I would chose this brand. But it's pretty.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Natuzzi A450.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	10100

TAM63 Guest

This is Elran
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170721_165741.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	195.4 KB 
ID:	10101

TAM63 Guest

Another Elran - I like the arms and etc, the bottom not as much as the other. Just for an idea of style. I wish these did not have exposed stitching on the seats.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170721_165709.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	183.1 KB 
ID:	10102

I nor anyone else can definitely tell you what companies are good, or bad, because in order to really make a judgement, I have to be able to see the pieces in person and examine how they are built. And build standards change all the time among makers. Rather, what you need to do is use the resources here as to what makes a good piece of furniture then go and see for yourself. If you are trying to do it only on-line its difficult. I can say without hesitation, the gold standard for leather upholstery that surpasses anyone in the marketplace is Hancock and Moore. That doesn't mean there are not other companies doing a good job - there are. However they are the best at what they do and if you can find a selection in their price point, you will not likely regret a purchase from them. Note that all their best deals are on sofas, not sectionals.
    Duane Collie