Thread: B-Y Recliner Arm ReUpholstering AND Disassembly (I know, I'm pushing it...)

RedSonja Guest

Default B-Y Recliner Arm ReUpholstering AND Disassembly (I know, I'm pushing it...)

Good Morning! (5am here!)

Trying to prepare for replacement upholstery of arm on 7221-SG Bradington Young Aaron Swivel Glider.

I am the only technician for a furniture repair outfit, my specialty being wood restoration. Trying to make the dedicated leap towards mechanisms as-well-as upholstery and while I'm at it let's add leather... I'm pretty confident in my ability but that confidence is based on preparation for my jobs and I can't find the info I need to provide the service I want.

My searches kept bringing me to this forum, and 5 hours and several forum searches later I finally followed the advice on yet another Houzz forum and reach out to you. In-spite of/Despite your statement that the back does not come off without full disassembly, which is not "easy".

Original damage caused by protrusion (?) from inside back into top rear of arm rest.

Factory has sent ISA RF Eldorado Summit L2, panel, front panel, and welt cord (verify terms if you don't mind, pics below)

Repair consists of replacement of damaged panel and corresponding components, as well as addressing protrusion from inside back.

I'm trying not to be greedy, but this is just the top of my mental list of hurdles, I will attempt brevity!

1) To what stage of disassembly do I need to get, and please advise as to resource for steps.
    1a) for pick-up from customer, do I anticipate pickup asssembled?

2) Other than the straightforward, any advisement on the reupholstery/leather installation? My overactive imagination is along the lines of fragile tacks, short-trimmed leather, etc...

3) Please advise as to possible protrusion that originally caused damage and address any naivete on my part thinking that addressing that will be straigh-forward.

I thank-you so much in advance, being in a skilled field I am used to craftsfolk being necessarily stingy with their time; often compounded when sales are added to their work load. You seem to be generous with your responses so I am appealing to you as a respectful padawan who wants to learn and represent!

Pics are:

Full unit, Damage On Arm, Replacement Panel, Replacement Front Panel and Welt Cord (?), Close-Up of Side/Arm

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-08-02_00001.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	10149Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-08-02_00002.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	10150Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-08-02_00006.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	10151Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-08-02_00009.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	10152Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-08-02_00008.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	10153

Default Re: B-Y Recliner Arm ReUpholstering AND Disassembly (I know, I'm pushing it...)

Sorry, this is beyond my area of expertise, I don't do leather repairs and would send the piece to a trusted upholster to replace panels. I'm told that one of the more difficult challenges is pulling the leather tight vs a fabric piece, but I have no experience at doing it myself. Good luck.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

RedSonja Guest

Default Re: B-Y Recliner Arm ReUpholstering AND Disassembly (I know, I'm pushing it...)

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Sorry, this is beyond my area of expertise, I don't do leather repairs and would send the piece to a trusted upholster to replace panels. I'm told that one of the more difficult challenges is pulling the leather tight vs a fabric piece, but I have no experience at doing it myself. Good luck.
    Thanks for the quick reply. Any advisement on dissassembly (you already warned me via another post it isn't fun!)? Removing back? Is removing back necessary for moving/pickup as it is a glider? Any resources you can point me in would be good, no luck with Hooker. Thanks again!

Sorry, I have never taken one apart. Repairs are generally few and far between.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.