Thread: Hancock and Moore # 6246-3 Ava Sofa in Angelo Putty

Default Hancock and Moore # 6246-3 Ava Sofa in Angelo Putty

This is one of my favorite sofas, and just came into the store today as a showroom model. It's part of the Just in Time program in the Angelo leathers (which is my top pick for a finished leather) and I think it fits the bill for a lot of customers, especially those that don't want a large, space-eating sofa. I like the way this piece sits, its roomy and supportive with just the right amount of "cush" in the backs (for me) and I very much like the exposed wood as well. Because the back cushions come off, we can get this sofa into apartments with narrow doors where sofas like the Ricki (also very popular) cannot fit due to the tall, fixed back. Best of all this piece is in the Just In Time Program which means it is unbelievably price-friendly. You can buy this sofa for close to the same price as much of the Chinese landfill sofas being pushed at you at stores like Macy's, Haverty's, etc.m and its made in the USA by the craftsmen at Hancock and Moore.

I experimented on this sofa with the wood finish a bit. This one is a new wood finish called Tawny. It's done at no extra charge and I happen to like it much, much better on this piece than the usual, boring Mahogany. What do you think? In one of the photos here, I took one of it next to an Ava chair in the shop and that's in Hazelnut finish. I much prefer the Tawny. If you're in the Wash DC area, stop by and try this one out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	877 
Size:	159.6 KB 
ID:	10162Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	795 
Size:	111.5 KB 
ID:	10163Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	782 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	10164Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	846 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	10165
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Hancock and Moore # 6246-3 Ava Sofa in Angelo Putty

I just purchased the H&M Ava sofa in angelo cream leather and tawny wood finish. It's stunning, but I went against better judgement, and ordered the sofa without trying it out first. We have an H&M City Sofa and love it. I tried to find a Ava sofa to sit on, but we live so far away from any H&M carrier, that I couldn't find anything within a days drive. The reviews on the Ava came in favorable so I went ahead and ordered it. Unfortunately, we can't get comfortable on the sofa. Even though there is plenty of support, our backs hurt after sitting on it only a short time. The sofa seat also seems extremely narrow because the back cushions don't allow us to sit far enough back. My husband and I are short (5 ft. 5) and weigh 120/180. Do you think there's hope once we break the cushions in? The sofa has the ultra down seating, or at least it's supposed to. Not sure if there's anyway to tell because it honestly doesn't feel much different then the back cushions.

It is odd, because the seat depth and height listed by H&M on their website are basically the same for both sofas. I noticed that the Ava sofa they picture has cushions kind of angled back and not as straight up and down as the City sofa. Have you tried repositioning the back cushions so that they are more upright? What is it that is making your back hurt if you have plenty of support from the pillows? I would think it would be hard for anyone to help if you can't say what about it is uncomfortable. What is different about your body position when you sit in it vs when you sit in the City sofa?

Quote Originally Posted by SueCT View Post
    It is odd, because the seat depth and height listed by H&M on their website are basically the same for both sofas. I noticed that the Ava sofa they picture has cushions kind of angled back and not as straight up and down as the City sofa. Have you tried repositioning the back cushions so that they are more upright? What is it that is making your back hurt if you have plenty of support from the pillows? I would think it would be hard for anyone to help if you can't say what about it is uncomfortable. What is different about your body position when you sit in it vs when you sit in the City sofa?
    Thank you for responding to my message. You are correct on the two sofa measurements. I felt comfortable purchasing the Ava sofa for that very reason because the measurements are similar to the City Sofa. When I sit on the Ava, my upper back hurts ...just below my shoulder blades. I think you're correct, having the cushions slanted might be causing the problem. I've been re-positioning them upright when I sit on the sofa and that does help. I also hope that as the cushions and leather break it that it will become just as comfortable as our City Sofa. The leather on the Ava is beautiful and so soft. I should purchase leather cleaner for it so that I can keep it pristine. Any recommendations on where I can purchase H&M leather cleaner online?

The Keeping Room sells the kits that H&M recommends, you can contact Duane to buy one to be shipped to you.