Thread: Executive office chair wobble

obezyana Guest

Default Executive office chair wobble

I have a Hall 9619ST swivel-tilt chair that is 12 years old (Aug 2005). It has a screw-jack type height adjust. There is the mechanism that tilts which is attached to the chair seat. This mechanism has a threaded rod that extends into the base with casters. There is a plastic liner insert in this base that makes contact with the threaded rod. I think this is the part that is worn out that I would like to replace. Anyone ever had this problem before?

Default Re: Executive office chair wobble

It's not uncommon, especially one that age and also if the unit is used a lot. I replace my office chairs at 12 years or so, treat myself to a new one. If the manufacturer is still in business and has parts you can order a base vs buying a new chair. Good luck
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

obezyana Guest

Sorry if I was unclear, this is a Hancock & Moore chair. I'll give them a call. Thanks.

For H&M parts, send an email to:

tawana@hancockandmoore.com

And tell her the model number if you have it - if you don't send her a series of photos to include the entire chair, and then just the base itself. She does all the parts at H&M and email will be far better than an phone call. Good luck
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

I replace my office chairs at 12 years or so, treat myself to a new one. If the manufacturer is still in business and has parts you can order a base vs buying a new chair.

I have a task chair that I bought about 3 years ago - for around $200. It's the kind with the black mesh back on it, and a bunch of knobs and levers underneath so you can really adjust it in all sorts of ways that you normally cannot do with a typical office chair. I specifically got this chair because of that, since most of the other office chairs I bought were always uncomfortable in some way - either leaning too much forward, or too much backward, or the arm rests weren't the right height, etc...

The chair has definitely served me well, but in the past year, the wheels started to break on this causing the chair to lean to one side or another. Also, the piston in it which raises and lowers the chair started leaking, so the chair kept dropping.

Not wanting to junk the chair and have to fork out yet another $200 I decided to repair it instead. The piston was a relatively easy, if not very pretty, fix with a piece of PVC piping and some radiator clamps. Essentially you just cut a piece of PVC pipe to the height of the piston bar underneath your chair. Then cut through the pipe on one side length-wise, so you can pry the pipe open a bit and place it around the piston. Then you merely take some metal radiator clamps and tighten them around the PVC pipe. Granted the chair loses it's ability to go up and down now, but at least it won't keep dropping to the floor. If you're really concerned about it's appearance, you could also spray paint the pipe and clips black, so it's really not even that noticeable.

For the wheels, it never dawned on me until recently, that you can find replacements online rather cheap. I had been duct taping them back together but that was only a temporary fix as the tape would stretch and break over time. Some stores like Office Max do sell a 5 piece wheel kit, but it's expensive at $35. Instead, I would suggest looking online, as I was able to pick up a set for only $4 plus shipping!

Now my chair is back in working order, and it cost me under $10 to fix everything.
    Last edited by drcollie; 09-24-2019 at 07:44 AM.