Thread: Hancock & Moore Chesterfield Sleeper Sofa will not open/sleeper mechanism problem

FionaCarver Guest

Default Hancock & Moore Chesterfield Sleeper Sofa will not open/sleeper mechanism problem

Hello,
    We recently purchased a used Hancock & Moore Chesterfield sleeper sofa, and unfortunately when we tried to pull out the sleeper it would get stuck. We flipped the sofa on its back and it appears there are two metal tab-like things (my husband would probably know the correct terminology) -- one on each side -- that are bent and/or sticking out improperly that get in the way when the mechanism tries to open. My husband tried to bend them back to get clearance (I think first with a plier and then with a hammer/chisel), with one side being successful, but the other side has proven more stubborn. The location of the problem part also provides zero leverage so it's difficult to even attempt to bend, particularly given its thickness.

We really don't want to mess up this piece of furniture, so are looking into a furniture repairman (although each person I've contacted so far only works on finishes and not mechanics). Any insight into how we can fix it ourselves? Or recommendations on type of repair person to call? We can add pictures when we get home tonight, but wanted to put this out there in case anyone has experienced a similar problem.

Thank you!

Default Re: Hancock & Moore Chesterfield Sleeper Sofa will not open/sleeper mechanism problem

You didn't try to open it before you bought it?

Default Re: Hancock & Moore Chesterfield Sleeper Sofa will not open/sleeper mechanism problem

I have an H&M chesterfield sleeper sofa. It you can post some pics I could compare to mine if you want to see how different it is and might give you a clue what to do.