Thread: Texas Flooding

Default Texas Flooding

To all our forum friends in Texas, especially in the Houston area - our thoughts and hopes are with you. I have never been in 50" of rainfall, and hope I never am, it will be devastating and there will be no end in sight for many more days. Help your neighbors and know the whole country is behind you. When the flood clears, and you need to rebuild, I will personally work with you to replace any flood-damaged furniture on a case-by-case basis at significantly reduced pricing. Many of you may not have flood insurance and will have extensive re-building costs. I am willing to forgo profits to assist you and will also reach out to my suppliers for additional discounts to replace pieces after the recovery.

Good luck and stay safe.
    Last edited by drcollie; 08-27-2017 at 11:19 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Texas Flooding

This is a good and decent man - all his inventory will be ruined and there's no insurance to cover this, he's going out of pocket on all this. I don't know how he can afford to do this,it will be well into the tens of thousands of dollars for him.

http://www.kens5.com/news/local/hous...ters/468756080
    Last edited by drcollie; 08-29-2017 at 06:24 PM.
    Duane Collie

What is going on in Texas is heartbreaking. My heart breaks for what these people are enduring and what is still yet to come. So glad the story of that man opening his furniture store has spread.
    Thanks for what you do. Finding this site has been a blessing to my family. After we flooded in August just having to look at furniture was nauseating. After making some quick bad decisions I'm glad we found this site. Most furniture stores in our area is marking up instead of discounting it seems.
    Can't wait for our new sofa :-)

I just got a call today from one of my customers and forum members in Kingwood, Texas. They were boat-rescued and just got back in their home today, everything is ruined including all their Hancock and Moore leather they purchased from me in 2014. Homeowner's Insurance will not cover it, and there are limits as to what FEMA flood insurance will cover for contents. I told them I will help them out - and it is my intent to not profit off other folk's misfortunes. I am going to reach out to the company CEO's of the brands I carry and ask them for pricing policy guides on all those affected by the Harvey floods and lost their contents of their homes. Once they get back to me on this, then I will do whatever I can to assist in helping replace as inexpensively as possible. That's my commitment to help those affected, I'll do what I can and know there is a hard road ahead in the upcoming months for those in Houston and the surrounding regions.
    Duane Collie

Duane,

I am sure any help will be appreciated.

I just got back to northern Oklahoma after spending Labor Day weekend in Houston removing water damaged sheetrock, carpet, and insulation from a flooded house. For those who have never been through a major flood event, this is one of the primary methods of preventing mold infestation in a flooded house...quickly remove all of wet furnishings and building materials so that the house's wooden frame has a chance to dry and a bleach-water mixture can be repeatedly sprayed on the wooden frame. When this is accomplished within a few days after flood waters recede, usually the house can be salvaged without costly mold remediation. However, it requires several people working for 2 to 3 days to remove all of the flood damaged materials from a single house.

It was emotionally overwhelming seeing the magnitude of the flood damage to entire neighborhoods and understanding that each home suffered a minimum of $100,000 structural damage and many houses will probably have to be razed. I can not imagine how each home owner must feel. To make matters worse, I was told that approximately 80% of the flooded homes in the greater Houston area do not have flood insurance and as Duane stated, homeowner's insurance does not cover flood damage. It will take years for people to pay for home repairs and replacing furnishings.

If there is a ray of sunshine in this disaster, it is the power of thousands of volunteers from across Texas and neighboring states coming together to help people they never met begin the long process of recovering from this flood.

I attached a picture I took as I left a neighborhood that is across the interstate highway from Kingwood, TX. The picture only shows small portion of the debris in the neighborhood. Every pile of debris in front of a house represents a family's destroyed belongings but it also represents a family that will probably not have to waste a significant portion of their limited rebuilding resources paying for mold remediation.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0018.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	188.3 KB 
ID:	10191

Good on you, Kevin, a job well done. That was not exactly around the corner for you to drive from Oklahoma City to Houston to volunteer.

I can imagine its almost beyond comprehension when you get in the middle of all that. It looks like a lot of hot, humid, dirty and sweaty work. And I would imagine many of the residents are almost shell-shocked by it all. Has to be hard for everyone, and I am sure they appreciate the army of volunteers that made the effort to assist.
    Duane Collie

As a new member, I just now stumbled across this thread. It brings back sad memories of this devastating flood, and it’s hard to believe already a year has passed. Many have recovered and moved on, and many are still struggling to put their lives back together. Fortunately we were spared; many friends were not. Thanks for your help Duane in assisting those who lost everything. As for the story you posted about Mattress Mac, it’s true. This man started with a small little store and developed an empire. He is always giving back to the community in one form or another, and he embodies the spirit of this little town called Houston that I am proud to call my home Yes, Houstonians greatly appreciate all the folks like Kevin who came from states all around and showed up on Houston’s doorstep to help, sometimes literally floating into town. Thanks to all of you!