I have been very happy with a mattress that I bought 15 years ago. I think it is a Sealy Posturpedic. It cost something like $1500 then at Macy's in New York. But now I am moving to a new apartment and while it is still in good shape, it is time for me to get something else. FYI I have an upholstered headboard but no bed frame.

I went to Bloomingdale's and tried its array of mattresses without pillow tops (I didn't think I would want the pillow top or latex or memory foam). The one I seemed to favor was the Kluft Royal Sovereign Overture Firm, which costs about $3500 for a queen set at the current sale level. There was also a Shifman ReViens Cannes for slightly more that I liked but didn't like as much as the Kluft.

No doubt there has been inflation in 15 years (despite most furniture's being made in China now), and though I had hoped not to spend more than about $2000, I realize that it is important to pick something comfortable. I have not ventured to other stores yet.

I have a few questions: Do I need to replace my box spring? People seem to differ on that point.

I also read that Kluft mattresses cannot be turned over, only rotated. If true, does that make it a bad decision? I typically rotate or flip the mattress every 6 months.

There seem to be a lot of Royal-Pedic fans. What company makes its mattresses? Are they available in New York?

Last, what is negotiable - price? delivery cost?