Thread: Is this RH stuff worth it? Help buying first big-boy living room.

mrmichael Guest

Default Is this RH stuff worth it? Help buying first big-boy living room.

Hello -

I'm -trying- to do my homework here on buying my first pricey living room setup. Right now I've got cruddy particleboard based furniture as placeholders. I'm considering the following items, but would like to know if you think it's worth the price or if I can find similar quality and look elsewhere for better pricing. This furniture stuff can really be difficult! So many brands and things out there... anywho:

MAXWELL UPHOLSTERED SOFA in some sort of magical stain-proof linen (FABRIC: PERENNIALS TEXTURED LINEN WEAVE)
    9' long, 40" deep, down hybrid cushions
    $4000ish

SOUTH AMERICAN COWHIDE TILE RUG - IVORY in 9x12
    100% hair-on cowhide, $3000ish

RECLAIMED RUSSIAN OAK PLINTH RECTANGULAR COFFEE TABLE
    68"W x 43"D, 100% solid oak, natural stain $2000ish

I'm sorry for this blob of a post. I just have a nagging feeling that I'm being ripped off here.

Thank you in advance!

Default Re: Is this RH stuff worth it? Help buying first big-boy living room.

I have a pretty low opinion of Restoration Hardware's product. You can read a bit here:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...ation+hardware

My suggestion is to get away from the chain stores like RH, Pottery Barn, Arhaus, Rooms to Go, etc. and go find an independent dealer that carries American-made brands in your area. You're likely to get MUCH better product for less money that way. Expand your shopping horizons and get out of the trendy high-end mall-type stores.

Not sure I would want a hair-on-hide rug, it may be OK if you don't ever walk on it, but it will likely shed and matt down if you put it in a traffic area. I've never even seen one before - that's a first.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

I would run away from their upholstered stuff. Like Duane mentioned look at good brands like Hancock and Moore and find a dealer.

Some of their wood stuff can be alright, just look at the construction and how thick the veneers are, etc. For that particular table, it just seems to be salvaged wood sanded down, so not much they can do wrong probably. If you like the design and are ok paying a little more vs the hassle of finding something similar cheaper elsewhere, go for it.

I agree with Duane on the rug. It might look nice but seems very impractical if you want to put it in a room you will actually use. If you can't find a rug at RH you like, I've had good experiences with Crate & Barrel rugs in the $500 - $1,000 price range.

mrmichael Guest

Finding it interesting that the rug is a point here - Rh sold the idea of the rug to me that it's basically bullet proof.

Anyway, on the couch front, I just don't seem to finding quality 9ft white couches with clean lines anywhere. Where am I looking as an alternative - Macy's? I just don't want to get crap furniture and am clueless about smaller furniture shops. I got something from a local shop a few years ago and it ended up being trash.

For the table, 2000 is a ton, but I'm also having trouble hunting down a similar piece. Solid wood without any boards stitched together.

With respect to the table I'm not sure what you mean by "boards stitched together". Both the base and top pictured on the RH website and manufactured from with planks edge glued together. Don't know where you live but any competent woodworker (not a cabinet shop) should be able to duplicate the table. The only question is how much distressing you want the piece to have.

Where am I looking as an alternative - Macy's?

No. That's right up there with the worst place you can go. Get away from the Mall stores, seriously.

I just don't seem to finding quality 9ft white couches with clean lines anywhere

Here you go.

https://www.taylorking.com/PDF/Category/21.PDF

Also, most any quality USA-made company such as Taylor King, Century, Hancock and Moore, Sherrill, etc. will make an existing design to the dimension you want, because they operate their own frame shops. So if you see a style you like and its a 96", you can get it run out to 108".

Rh sold the idea of the rug to me that it's basically bullet proof

Hair on Hides are NOT bulletproof. They shed and show a "dandruff" with use, that's why I make sure my customers know what they are getting into when spec'ing it for seating areas on their upholstery. It's better suited on sides and backs, where there is no actual use on it - no friction and pressure.

For the table, 2000 is a ton, but I'm also having trouble hunting down a similar piece. Solid wood without any boards stitched together.

$ 2,000 is not expensive for a table. We build tables that are as high as $ 30,000 for customers. In fact, $ 2K is at the low end for a table made properly with real wood. You are not going to find a single-board table top, they are all edge glued. Two reasons 1) The ratio of finished lumber to "in the rough" is roughly 3 to 2. So for example, a tree that is 36" across when timbered will yield a max board width of appx 24" when ready to work the board. The table you are looking is 68" wide finished, so to do a single board top that tree would have to be at least 8 1/2 feet in diameter. Giant Sequoias and Redwoods will be that wide and more, but not much else and you would pay a small fortune for that board from a Mill. Here's one that is in the rough at a little less than 4" wide and look at the price before anyone has even begun to touch it:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/5060384..._listing_top-1

Here is single piece Redwood, going to get pricey!:

http://redwoodburl.com/project/rustic-kitchen-islands/

2) Any wide single board table, and even a 2-Board top, 3 or 4 board tops, are very prone to warping (cupping) in the direction of the rings of the heartwood. They are a real challenge to keep flat across the width and require the skills of a cabinetmaker that knows what he is doing. That coffee table you are looking at from RH is already cupping as it has no breadboard ends on it to control warpage, you can see the curl in their photos at your link. You can't just saw a top out, glue the edges together and stick it on a base, that's a disaster waiting to happen.
    Last edited by drcollie; 09-12-2017 at 11:42 PM.
    Duane Collie

We took a look at the RH Maxwell sofa and it looked to be a quality piece to me. It is made in the USA with a 8 way suspension and frame, suspension, cushions guaranteed for life.

The reason I am seriously considering it is that they are very open about the fabrics used and their specifications. I went to a local store that sells 2 of the brands mentioned on here a lot and the salesperson was unable (or not interested) to help me find a stain resistant and durable fabric…she basically just pointed me to racks with hundreds of fabric samples. None of the fabric samples specified tje rub count, some did not even specify what the material was so it is very hard to find something suitable.

Rule of Thumb

Buy where you are comfortable doing business.

Restoration Hardware has a number of their upholstered pieces made by Sherrill Furniture in 2023, so its a quality build. All their leather is to be sure, and I am not sure on their fabric upholstery.
    Duane Collie