Thread: Bradington- Young Conversion

drjjpdc Guest

Default Bradington- Young Conversion

Hi,

I have a B-Y recliner that needs a new recliner mechanism. I was just wondering if it is cost effective to turn it into a power lift chair as I am on permanent disability and it's getting harder to push myself off.

John P.

Default Re: Bradington- Young Conversion

Probably not. It requires an entirely new mechanism to do so. I've never had a request for that, however you would have to gut all of the unit and replace every moving part. B-Y doesn't list parts prices - I don't think they offer a lift variant on their recliners - but from Hancock and Moore it would be $ 1,030 plus shipping (another $ 100) and then you have to pay someone to install it all - I would think an upholsterer would charge $ 300 or so (check locally for a cost estimate). If your chair is in top condition, you might could justify it, however when the standard mechanism is broken, my experience has been the recliner is usually well-used at that point and not worth the investment as a cost-saving measure. I would suggest ordering a new recliner ready to go with the lift mechanism. Hancock and Moore has the # 3032-L Austin Power Lift Wallhugger which is what I would recommend (just sold one yesterday) in the Town and Country Promotional program.

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/Produ...ft-Wall-Hugger
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

drjjpdc Guest

Default Re: Bradington- Young Conversion

Hey Dr. Collie,

Thanks a lot! That chair looks great. Now the question is can I afford it? I will let you know.

John