In my email this morning from John Buchanan:

.....I have decided to discontinue making furniture, so will not be taking any more commissions for new furniture. After 46 years & a dismal market, I've had enough, so am going to do more hiking, fly fishing, and spending more time with my grandkids. Thank you for your business over the years.....

For those of you that commissioned a piece by John, you have something special - he was the perfect balance of fine workmanship coupled with reasonable prices, and that is not easy to find. In my experience, there are not many woodworkers out there that give you that combination. There are plenty that tell you they can, but they fail to execute, either in form factor or finish. It takes a fine eye to know how to make the right dimension or curve when working off a photo or rough sketch. Thank you, John - it's been a pleasure and I will miss our conversations in the store when you brought pieces to me.

I will not be sourcing another custom cabinetmaker, and John was the last of my Tiger (curly) Maple builders as well. FYI I still have half a dozen or so pieces from John in the store, including a very finely done tiger maple tea table and a flame cherry english butler style coffee table, as well as a cherry gateleg tea table. Get them while you can if you are interested, they will not be marked down.