Thread: Squeaky Recliner Sofa

Andy_L Guest

Default Squeaky Recliner Sofa

Recently my Smith Brothers 415 recliner sofa has picked up quite an annoying squeak as it's reclining. Not so much when it's being pulled back upright. The noise is present even if it's reclined with no one sitting in it. If I'm outside of the chair and push it a certain way I can almost eliminate the squeak. I've flipped the recliner upside down and can't find anything loose. The noise is more in the bottom / back of the recliner. I have a call into our retailer but thought it may help the community to share this issue. I'm sure it's not the first time something like this has happen. I made a short video on the sound.

What do you guys think it is? Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRyX...ature=youtu.be

Default Re: Squeaky Recliner Sofa

I can tell you that's not a frame squeak because its consistent with the power mechanism operating. I would suspect a bearing issue in the mechanism or motor. See if you can isolate it. To do this, put the recliner (if you can) up on some blocks and get it elevated. Then while a helper is operating the awitch, get underneath it and pinpoint the source of the squeal. This should be easy to do once you can get access to the bottom. Depending on how old it is, it may have some warranty coverage on the mechanism - most will go three years, motors a year.

Good luck
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Andy_L Guest

Thank you drcollie. Good advice. I was not able to prop it up on blocks like you suggested but I did tip it and went over all visible connections again. Everything was tight and secure. I tried to push here and there to try and spot the squeak but nothing. The retailers, Penny Mustard, is sending a tech out Saturday and will fix it under warranty. So I'm hopeful it will be resolved and I'll provide an update here. Otherwise it's been very nice furniture. Thanks again.

If you tipped it on its back and the noise stopped, then that would be (to me) indicative of a binding issue where the mechanism is rubbing against something - a clearance issue. By tilting the piece, it changed the angles and clearances. Probably something is loose and needs to be tightened such as the screws that hold the mechanism to the frame. That's my guess, anyways.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.