Thread: Motion or No Motion? If motion for convenience and many positions, manual or electric

Suzzanne Guest

Default Motion or No Motion? If motion for convenience and many positions, manual or electric

Difficult to find quality here in a little town in central Florida--there is one store. Have found a Bradington Young (Whitney) that we like. Wondering if the convenience of motion is giving up quality. Very interested in lumbar support. Found a comfortable Klaussner in a different store, but am pretty sure the quality is lacking. Please share your opinions and experiences.

Default Re: Motion or No Motion? If motion for convenience and many positions, manual or elec

Generally, there is no motion piece that will have the durability of a stationary piece, your weakest link is the mechanism itself. If that mechanism fails, you will have to get a replacement for it in order for the piece to be usable again, so its important to hang onto your receipt so you have the model number and date of purchase. Try to get a replacement mechanism in 15 years without that information and its very difficult to do. I recommend you put the receipt in the zipper of a back cushion, that way its always with the piece. Leggett and Platt, and UltraMech are the two best mechanism makers in the industry. If you go with motion, I'd suggest you get one of those two - they are labeled on the mechanisms themselves.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Suzzanne Guest

Default Re: Motion or No Motion? If motion for convenience and many positions, manual or elec

Quote Originally Posted by Suzzanne View Post
    Difficult to find quality here in a little town in central Florida--there is one store. Have found a Bradington Young (Whitney) that we like. Wondering if the convenience of motion is giving up quality. Very interested in lumbar support. Found a comfortable Klaussner in a different store, but am pretty sure the quality is lacking. Please share your opinions and experiences.
    Thank you for your quick reply. Great recommendation to put receipt with the couch itself. I will certainly do that. We have an old (about 1993) BY and I cannot find the name of the mechanism. Where should I be looking? Or maybe they weren't labeled back then. I remember the salesperson at Furnitureland South telling me they used the best mechanism on the market at the time. Your thoughts on BY 920-95 and 920-75? What about lumbar support?

On a 24-year-old mechanism, I can't tell you were to find it - that's too old for me to know, sorry.

The 920 series is flat cushion in the back, it has no lumbar support. If that's what you are looking for, then you need a bustle back unit, which has two pillows on the back of each seat position.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.