Thread: The unicorn cupboard - a George Beshore available for the discerning collector.

Default The unicorn cupboard - a George Beshore available for the discerning collector.

Long time readers of this forum will know that the finest cabinet maker I have ever had come through my doors in the past 30 years was George Beshore, who passed on July 3, 2009 at the age of 86. I put this post up when I found out he was gone.

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...f-Pennsylvania

He was an exceptional craftsman, a woodworker for other woodworkers - and the stories of him are legion among those in the business in this small category of art. George was S-L-O-W and meticulous. He only knew perfection and he would never-ever ship his creations, they all had to be hand-carried to my store from his shop in Oxford PA. Of course, he would make the drive and then stay for a couple of hours and fill me with tales of woodworking, history and art. He was old enough that he would tell me of his adventures as a boy in Gettysburg, when the old Confederate and Union battlefield veterans would meet up for reunions at Picket's Charge not far from his house, and he met them all in person. We would discuss the pieces on display at the MET in NYC (they have an outstanding collection of early period furniture), and he became a trusted friend as well as a supplier. Other cabinent makers would marvel at his creations and just shake their heads, they are "over the top" in detail. They were expensive when we could get them, and customers would often wait a year for one, that was not unusual. I have never seen any of his items come up for sale on the resale market. One in a great while a small mirror, but that's been it, none of the primary pieces.

This Hanging Corner Cupboard is my favorite piece. I own one and it hangs in my house now - and will until the day I die. This one I gave to my mother and father as a Christmas present in 2005 when I was battling cancer and wanted them to have a really nice remembrance of me since my survival outlook was poor. Well, I beat that cancer (obviously) and this stayed in their home until this week, when I moved it to the store. The house is being sold, and my mother is in a 800 s.f. assisted living apartment and we have it already at capacity. It does not work in her new place, no corners available. So here it is for sale.

What's the price? Same as it was in 2005. $ 3,295. I think its worth more, but I'm not into speculative pricing. For sure you won't find anything like this out there, and I have asked four other cabinet shops to reproduce it - all have declined saying its too highly built for them. Too much handwork. No offers will be accepted, sorry.

Can it be shipped? Probably. I prefer not as its not replaceable and I don't know who would repair it should it get damaged. It would require a stout wood crate ( $ 150) and shipping would have to be via Plycon Van lines or a high-end antique carrier of your choosing. Local pickup or Wash DC metro area delivery preferred.

Onto the photos, will be in two posts as I can only put up (5) per post.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B1.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	156.9 KB 
ID:	10249Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B2.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	127.7 KB 
ID:	10250Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B4.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	152.6 KB 
ID:	10251Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B7.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	122.9 KB 
ID:	10252Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B12.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	135.9 KB 
ID:	10253
    Last edited by drcollie; 10-12-2017 at 05:21 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum
    I ask that you do NOT call my store with general furniture questions, that is what the forum is for

Default Re: The unicorn cupboard - a George Beshore available for the discerning collector.

Some of the details that you should know about in a cupboard of this class and build level:

* All brass comes from Ball & Ball of Ekton PA, Best brass in the USA. Functional lock. Yes, those are real hand-forged rat-tail hinges and are hammered into the piece and perfectly fit. No binding and the door slides on and off the piece.

* Single board panels on all primary surfaces, including the door. No glue-up panels. Signed and Dated by George Beshore 2005.

* Spoon holders cut into the small shelf, Square cut, period-correct pegs on all mortises (most cabinetmakers use round dowels, its difficult to make square pegs!)

* Handcut dovetails, handmade crown mold (look at the detail on it). All 100% Solid Tiger Maple with the exception of the poplar drawer internals which is period correct. No plywoods, no veneers.

If you can find a higher build level piece at this price - buy it! This is beyond furniture - its art made of wood.

Attachment 10254Attachment 10255Attachment 10256Attachment 10257
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum
    I ask that you do NOT call my store with general furniture questions, that is what the forum is for