Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fall Market High Point 2017

Default Fall Market High Point 2017

I made a 1-day trip to the High Point Market today, just a blast down and back (9 hours driving, 6 hours at Market) and only went to the showrooms of my existing suppliers (Kindel/Karges/Councill, Jonathan Charles, Century, Taylor King, Jessica Charles, Hancock and Moore). I have to say, no one has a showroom like Hancock and Moore, I think its the best I've ever seen it. It just blows away everyone else. Their designs almost jump out at you with their boldness and execution, whereas other showrooms (particularly Century's) seem ... well....timid and a bit bland by comparison. I took several photos of pieces and will post there here as time allows, expect to see a few a day. I also ordered several pieces for floor stock, there were just too many good items not to. A few highlights:

* Hancock and Moore FINALLY - FINALLY built a lady's size recliner! I've been after them relentlessly and this market they did it - and even gave me credit in their national sales meeting yesterday for getting them to do it. I asked a number of women (whom I did not know!) to try it out and give me their impressions. They all gave it a huge thumbs up - and its targeted at the ladies 5' to 5' 7" tall. Ladies, now we have a recliner for you to sit in where your feet touch the ground and your back gets fully set against the back cushion. No longer will like you are sitting in a man's recliner with your legs dangling. Photos to follow.

* The new "Your Way" series Motion pieces blew me away. Wait until you see the photos of these - they have a brand new Leggett and Platt mechanism (power only) that not only does the conventional recliner operation but has a articulating headrest that moves forward and back. It's ground-breaking, and my understanding is the only other company that has it right now is Bradington-Young (I did not get to their showroom on the other side of town). This will be huge in the market place, its a game changer in motion furniture as you can adjust the angle of your head AFTER you get the piece reclined where you want it to be. Sofas and chairs, both.

* My new favorite conventional man's recliner is the Monaco. Wow. What a recliner. Fits me perfect and looks great, too.

* A whole series of Crypton Performance fabrics are now in the line at H&M, samples will arrive at the dealers in a few months.

* I also learned today that Jimmy Moore & Jack Glasheen (founders of Hancock and Moore) will be retiring end of the year. So too, will Gloria Carson who is the Office Manager and lead Customer Service Manager, she was their very first employee in 1982 when they started. While I can't say this was totally unexpected, I was nonetheless stunned to hear the news. They are like family to me and I will miss them all terribly. Gloria in particular, because she could fix ANY issues that came up with a customer's order. She was always my go-to person when something needed to get done and done quickly! Jimmy and Jack built one of the finest upholstery companies in the world from their initial investment of $ 50,000 each (and that was all the money they had at the time) and they did it right, with integrity and honor. And for those of you that have ever taken a factory tour of Hancock and Moore with Jimmy, it's likely you had a blast and will never forget it. If you haven't had a tour with Jimmy Moore, you still have a couple of months to get one.
    Tim Rogers will take over the helm the first of the year at H&M, and he's been there many years already - I know him well - and he will keep up the traditions we've come to expect from the brand.

Looking at my photos today - they are a disaster. A setting was incorrect on my camera and I didn't catch it, so all will have to be run through Photoshop to try and correct as best I can, many were not usable. Sorry! Will post them as best I can, and it will take some time to do them all due to the correction process.
    Last edited by drcollie; 10-16-2017 at 10:52 AM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Fall Market High Point 2017

Here's the Showpiece of the H&M Market, can your favorite upholstery company make something like this? It's spectacular when you see it, and requires a grand room.

# 6401-3-O Terrace Quilted Sofa
    in leather Angelo Birch
    finish: Brilliance
    nails: Nickel
    104" L
    43.5" D
    30" H
    MSRP as shown $ 14,545

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SGlam1.jpg 
Views:	453 
Size:	183.5 KB 
ID:	10266Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SGlam2.jpg 
Views:	487 
Size:	153.4 KB 
ID:	10267Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SGLAM3.jpg 
Views:	402 
Size:	158.1 KB 
ID:	10268
    Duane Collie

I ordered one of these for the store as a showroom model. Same leathers, except I specified a brown suede (Sonoma) to go into the panel on the sides, under the detail work, for a 2-tone effect.

Name:	Expediton.jpg 
Views:	515 
Size:	190.4 KB 
ID:	10273
    Duane Collie

Over the past 30 years in the business, THIS is the best recliner I have ever sat in. It's perfect.

Expensive, and its worth it.

One coming as a floor model ordered just like in the photo.

Name:	Monaco.jpg 
Views:	519 
Size:	141.8 KB 
ID:	10274Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Monaco 2.jpg 
Views:	482 
Size:	120.5 KB 
ID:	10275
    Duane Collie

FINALLY - they listened! It took me many years beating the drum to convince Hancock and Moore to build a Ladies Recliner. I have had so many requests for this piece, they promised me they would and did so this Market. This is designed for the woman 5' 0" to 5' 6" to sit in a chair made for her. I asked three different women in the showroom to please try it out - they all said it was great and they liked being able to put their feet on the floor in it, and not feel like they were sitting in their husband's chair.

This new recliner is Model # 7170 and called the Script Recliner.

This too, ordered as a floor model for my store.

Name:	ladies.jpg 
Views:	407 
Size:	163.0 KB 
ID:	10276
    Last edited by drcollie; 10-25-2017 at 05:37 PM.
    Duane Collie

Thanks for the pictures. I'm not sure I like that Expedition chair, the seams/detail on the sides seems kind of organic somehow and like it was out of necessity rather than design like they ran out of material (which I know is not true). Maybe it looks better in person? Or meant to appeal to a different audience than myself!

Seniorback Guest

Hi Duane,
    Do you have any idea when the new H&M crypton performance fabrics u ref in ur Oct 2017 post about the Fall Highpoint show will be on the Hancock website? Every time I check, it is the same 100% polyester fabrics. I am in need of a small sofa(not 80 inches or wider) that can withstand houseguests who eat and drink while sitting in the family room. I don't want a painted leather from China and I don't want to be holding my breath while a guest sits on an aniline. Also the dog sleeps on the sofa I an looking to replace. I keep a blanket on the old sofa but blankets or throws just slip off my recliner in cameo Carmel burnished(which is not an issue because the 45lb dog doesn't go on this chair or the Taylor King chair I recently purchased from u).
    Thanks much

H&M usually releases the Fall Market fabrics to the dealers via swatched (and posts to the web site) in late January - early February each year. I will reach out to them and see when they think they will be posted.
    Duane Collie

I checked with H&M and their webmaster is not allowed to post photos of the new fabrics until the revised price list is out to the dealers, and H&M is revising the price list as there are overall increases next month I am told. So look for the new fabrics sometime in February.
    Duane Collie

Seniorback Guest

Thank you.