Thread: So you think a leather sofa is expensive?

Default So you think a leather sofa is expensive?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/th...t5R&ocid=ientp

$ 17.8 million for used watch......amazing.

My friend Donn was in L.A. for the auction of this watch, they even let him try it on. He sent me this photo last week of the very watch that sold for $ 17.8 mil. You will notice he has on his wrist a Daytona Platinum edition watch, which he paid a paltry $ 65,000 for! He was not a serious bidder, not at that price.

It's good to be rich, eh? Though everyone would like to see what it looks like with a iPhone snapshot.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rolexz.jpg 
Views:	392 
Size:	182.3 KB 
ID:	10288
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: So you think a leather sofa is expensive?

Mind boggling but then again there are people in this world that spending 65k or 17.8million would be similar to me spending a couple hundred on a nice watch. Though I never wear wrist watches I do appreciate the craftsmanship and design of them.

Learning about leather furniture to me was like learning about grading diamonds. There's leather and there's leather with some other word attached to it. If there is any word attached, it is likely ground up leather bound with some kind of polymer. So it's almost like vinyl with leather in it. Not that this is bad. Aside from Rolls Royce and some US makers, most car leather is ground up leather put together with vinyl.

In any case, real leather absolutely can stain or discolor even when treated with a protectant. We bought a full leather set for some big dollars. The salesman convinced my wife that with kids, getting the protectant was the way to go and boy, am I glad we did. In about a year, discoloring occurred and dispite using the cleaning kit that we bought at the same time we bought the furniture, we could not get them looking all the same color. A cleaning crew came in to attempt to clean them and declared them defective. Furniture is like cars. They are out for a model year, never to be seen again. The entire set was removed and we were given full credit for every cent we spent. We ended up spending 1/3 as much on microfibre and they refunded the rest in a check.

As much as I loved the comfy leather, we will never get it again. After 10 years, the microfibre really should be replaced but at 1/3 the price, we could replace it twice and be even.

Sorry you had a bad experience with your leather furniture. To clarify a few of your comments....

* There is top grain leather (which is genuine leather), then bi-cast, and bonded leathers, the latter two are made from leather by-products and polypropylene bonding agents

* Leathers in automobiles are top grain finished leathers, with higher end cars using semi-aniline hides. Its not made of ground-up leather with vinyl added. Many vehicles have leather seating surfaces and vinyl side panels however.

* Real leather does not discolor except from Sun UV fade - which can take the color out of anything including a hardwood floor. The chemicals the salesman sold you were probably responsible for the issues you had. There are MANY add-on products sold to boost profits for unethical dealers that cause hide deterioration. Only use what the manufacturer recommends.

* Top Grain leather outlasts Microfiber by at least 4 years to 1. Microfiber is nothing more than super-fine polyester and that makes it easy to clean, it does not have an extended lifespan. Most microfibers are passe' now and have been replaced by performance fabrics such as Crypton brand to get the cleanability in a more diverse range of materials options.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.