Thread: Hancock & Moore # 1283 Campaign Sofa in Tuscany Harness

Default Hancock & Moore # 1283 Campaign Sofa in Tuscany Harness

Nothing like a good Italian Pull-up leather on a classic sofa style! If you like the look of a waxy pull-up hide (its an acquired taste) then it doesn't get much better than this. This sofa will age beautifully over time with a pure aniline leather such as Tuscany Harness, a GR 3 hide.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C6.jpg 
Views:	856 
Size:	128.6 KB 
ID:	10289Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C2.jpg 
Views:	726 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	10290Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C3.jpg 
Views:	571 
Size:	142.4 KB 
ID:	10291Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C4.jpg 
Views:	474 
Size:	122.0 KB 
ID:	10292Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C1.jpg 
Views:	542 
Size:	143.4 KB 
ID:	10293
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Hancock & Moore # 1283 Campaign Sofa in Tuscany Harness

Beautiful!

I love the style of the Campaign sofa, and we're moving to a new house where the living room will become a library and will need to be furnished. We have a City sofa and loveseat in Kipling Whiskey that will become the family room furniture in the new house; we're very happy with those pieces, but I'm looking for something with more red in it for the library space -- not as bright red as the City sleep sofa shown here on your home page, but something like the color of the Campaign sofa on the H&M website (I don't know what leather that is). I have been looking hard at a Tiburon Cognac after seeing your photos of the extraordinary chair with the Belgian Chocolate finish but I'm not sure how I feel about the marks and scars that leather will show. I think I would rather stay away from that "bomber jacket" look. The library furniture will not get heavy use, as we live in the family room, but I'd like to get something that will not scuff or mark too easily. Anybody's experience or suggestions to get something like the qualities of the leather we found in the Kipling Whiskey but with more red in the color would be much appreciated.

The Campaign sofa on the H&M Website is done in Heirloom Chestnut, a GR 4 leather (your Kipling was GR 2).

If you don't want a pull-up hide, then I'd look at Champion GR 2, Wade GR 3 or if the budget allows it - Capri GR 4, specifically the Butternut color.

As for more reddish, usually anything that is a Chestnut color will be browns with some red mixed in. The burnished leathers too - are great (Hyde Park and Cameo) however you may not want those markings the exhibit.
    Duane Collie

Thank you so much for the prompt and helpful response! I am not so much concerned with price as I am with the long-term appearance and use of the furniture; if I keep and use it for ages I can justify the additional cost. We are all over the City sofa and loveseat and they're holding up beautifully, but we're in Arizona and the living room in our current house has shutters to keep direct light off the furniture. The new home is full of light and big windows -- not much direct light and from windows facing east -- but I think we can take good care of and avoid damage to a class 4 leather if it isn't too vulnerable to damage from light or rare spills. I never would have guessed that was the Heirloom Chestnut on that Campaign sofa, but it is certainly beautiful. Thanks again.

Sun damage can and will occur from East windows, I know from firsthand experience, even with UV window film. However it does take many years to develop. See this thread:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...e-leather-sofa

I had 17 years use on this piece before I had to pull out the re-dye, and to me that's acceptable. And the re-dye just took my two hours and $ 90 worth of material, so that's acceptable to me too. Since that photo series was taken, I put in new seat cores and that helped tremendously as well. Now it has another ten years left in it, for sure. When you buy good quality and well-made, it does last.

Oh, and that is NOT heirloom chestnut on that Campaign Sofa, sorry. Not sure what is on that unit, that photo has been around a long time - probably a leather such as Kipling Whiskey that is no longer available.
    Duane Collie