Thread: Sofa for heavier person

Flashscuba Guest

Question Sofa for heavier person

I am looking for a new sofa for my living room. The problem that I have had with my past two sofas is that as I sit on it in the evening watching TV, the cushion underneath me slowly rides forward, coming out from underneath my backside. About every hour, I have to get up and go behind the couch and pull the cushion back in Place.

I am 5'8", 200 pounds. The cushions that I've been using are foam. Will the spring down cushions offered by better manufacturers do a better job of staying in place? I also like to curl up on this sofa, with my legs up underneath me. That probably puts added pressure on it.

I'm looking at getting a Sherril or Century sofa because they say they have better cushions. Would like to know others experience?

Default Re: Sofa for heavier person

200 lb is nothing! When I read the title I was thinking 325 to 400 lb.

It's a combination of suspension and cushion density firmness, and ideally you would want an 8-way hand-tied suspension which you do find in better brands such as the upper level Sherrill and Century products, then also go for a +1 extra firm seat core, which is usually a no charge option from all the better makers. That should fit you up. Spring down is standard from most premium makers, but you can still +1 firm it up on request.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.