Thread: Looking for a recliner sofa that sits straighter vs slouchy

Default Looking for a recliner sofa that sits straighter vs slouchy

Hi, my husband and I were in the store a few days ago, looking for a recliner sofa but wanting something straight-ish vs slouchy. We ended up looking at two non-recliners, the one I called "Italian modern" and the other was the City Sofa, which was more our typical taste.

Since then I have been reading this site and exploring the Hancock and Moore catalogue, and found the Campaign Full Recline sofa, 84.5 wide x 39 deep x 39 high. That's a size that would work for us (current sofa is 83" and we can't go much more than that). Do you happen to have one on the floor? Have you ever had one, and can you tell me how it sits? I see the seat height is 21", which should work for us - I am 5'4", husband about 5'10". The style I think would blend with our cherry pieces from Pennsylvania House and our inherited Mission Oak (inherited pieces from grandparents, bought around 1913), although it leans toward contemporary rather than traditional.

Also, what do you think of the Caress leathers? I'm looking at Dark Moss, Green, and Hunter Green, plus a variety of brownish and camel colored leathers in other lines. Seeing the green colors made me think outside of the typical brown ranges, though. This is for a family room couch used by us two "old folks" and one gentle dog.

Default Re: Looking for a recliner sofa that sits straighter vs slouchy

I don't have a Campaign Dual Recliner in the store as a floor model, sorry. I have sold one, and tried it out - its been awhile though and I can't recall exactly the sit on it. I rang up the H&M production manager for the motion division and he tells me that this unit does not sit "slouchy" nor do you sink into it, its more supportive. However it does not have a high backrest, so note the back height on it (39").

Caress leather has been in the line for years. In fact, many of the people that work at H&M have it on their own leather upholstery at their homes, including Jimmy Moore, Gloria Carson (Customer Service Mgr) and several others. It's a finished leather, very soft - and its monochromatic - that is - there is little to no high/low shading effects on it, so it tends to give the pieces its used on a more modern look.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Ok, thanks very much. Back height should be fine, that's close to what we have now. It's difficult to find a recliner sofa that's on the smaller side, and just about impossible to get a higher back that still only has a depth of 38-40. Will be in again soon to discuss details and look at samples.

Looks like the Epic might also work for us. That would be as large as we would want to go. Do you have any comments on that, on how it sits, how well it would combine with our mix of Craftsman-inspired antiques plus newer traditional Pennsylvania House? We have a cherry end table/book case piece from PH that is fairly bulky that would go next to it.

The Epic is a good-sitting, very nice dual recliner sofa - HOWEVER - the new Your Way promotion dual recliner sofas blow it away, seriously. I just ordered one of the new Your Way units today for floor stock, and I'm going to get a final production prototype, which is the last unit they make and then check over carefully before they begin primary production on them. That way, I will have one quickly whereas these won't really start showing up until Jan/Feb at other dealers. I have spec'd my floor model out exactly as this one:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A3.jpg 
Views:	351 
Size:	191.4 KB 
ID:	10322

Every other dual recliner sofa is now old tech - this new series with the way they operate and more control over the power movements is far superior. This is what I suggest you look at purchasing.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

I saw that and liked it very much. Possible issue is that the "your way" frames jump from 76" to 87". Even with our 83" sofa, the end table extends a little bit into the archway between living room and family room, so I didn't want to go much wider than that. We have a challenging space to work with. Room measurements are just shy of 12' across and 18' long, but the first six feet or so of that 18' measurement are not useable for furniture placement, as there is a sliding glass door out to the patio on one side and the large entry space to the living room directly opposite. We have bookcases on either side of the fireplace across the short end, so have to leave space in front of them to get to the books, which shortens the available wall space for a sofa even more.

I'll come into the store with a diagram and we can figure it out.