Thread: An era is ending at Hancock and Moore - if you're a fan of the brand.....

Hybrid View

Default An era is ending at Hancock and Moore - if you're a fan of the brand.....

It's no secret that we have a lot of Hancock and Moore enthusiasts here on the forum, and count me among them. If there's a better run company out there that cares about both it's customers AND its employees, I haven't come across it in the furniture industry.

Just yesterday, I was working with a customer at 4:00 p.m. on a Saturday afternoon, and we are building an order for two Taylor King chairs done in a Hancock and Moore leather. They could not find a wood finish from TK that they liked, so I said it may be possible to use an H&M finish on the TK chair somehow, I would have to look into it. Now, as most of you know the North Carolina makers are not open on Saturdays, but I dashed off a quick email to Jack Glasheen, who is the CEO of Hancock and Moore as well as one of the owners of Taylor King. Within 15 minutes he called me on the phone with an answer, his grandchildren I could hear in the background, and he had my answer for me (Yes, we could, custom charges apply). Where do you get that level of commitment and service these days? It's very, very rare.

Did you know that Hancock and Moore has an employee benevolent fund that both the owners and all the employees contribute to out-of-pocket? This is something they all decided to do and its an emergency pool of money for when one of their associates falls behind on a mortgage payment, has a large un-expected medical expense, or maybe a car breaks down and they can't afford to fix it - the people that work in the factory can pull from this fund, with no repayment needed. That's a rarity in the business world these days but shows the owner's commitment to their staff for their well-being. Or that they have a full-time LP nurse at Plant # 1 who is there to assist any associate with any medial issues, all at no charge? They also pay the highest wages in the industry, because its important to them to keep good craftspeople and make sure they are taken care of.

Yesterday, when on the phone with Jack he asked how the sales were for the day on his brands and I told him what was ordered. His response? "Thank you for keeping our people working, we really appreciate it and every order is important."

Hancock and Moore & Jessica Charles was sold to Rock House Brands (Century, Highland House) a couple of years ago, and the original teams all stayed in place but are now moving on. Jack Glasheen and Jimmy Moore started Hancock and Moore in 1982 with a limited budget and a dream. They were both working at Classic Leather and didn't like the direction that company was headed (cheaper/faster). They risked every dime they could put together and the goal was to build the best in the industry, which they succeeded with by a wide margin. With them, came Gloria Carson as their first employee, she's the Customer Service Manager and she makes sure that impossible requests get done. When you need something done outside the norm, or have to have it on hand by a certain date - you may call your H&M dealer about it, but its Gloria that gets it done.

Jack, Jimmy and Gloria are all retiring December 22nd. As Gloria has told me over the years "We three started together and God willing, we'll all walk out the door together on the last day, too". There will be no retirement bash, they are all too humble to accept the recognition and the fussing, despite the desire of all the associates to throw then a recognition party.

If you think like I do (and are a fan of the brand) perhaps you would like to send a Thank You, or Happy Retirement card to them, simply because you appreciate the fact they never took production overseas and kept it in America, never wavered in their commitment to build the best-in-industry, and tried very hard to have satisfied customers over the years. I know they would get a big kick out of getting even one or two cards from you - their customers - as its pretty rare when they get something positive in the mail! Anyone that has ever taken a tour of the plant with Jimmy Moore knows what a character he is and how much a good time you had - now's a good time to acknowledge that. If you are so inclined to do so, just mail a single card to all of them at:

Jack Glasheen
    Jimmy Moore
    Gloria Carson
    Hancock & Moore
    POB 3444
    Hickory, NC 28603

There would be no Hancock and Moore without these three, they made the company, literally. I have learned a lot about the furniture business from Jack and he's probably the reason my store survived the Recession when there was a 60 % failure rate in furniture stores. He would say "Don't over-expand, don't go into debt to make your store bigger and more fancy, you have to survive the downturns which will inevitably happen". He was right! I will miss them all terribly as they are not only my favorite supplier, but my friends as well.
    Last edited by drcollie; 11-05-2017 at 10:14 AM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: An era is ending at Hancock and Moore - if you're a fan of the brand.....

What will happen to the business? Is H/M continuing?

Default Re: An era is ending at Hancock and Moore - if you're a fan of the brand.....

Tim Rogers, who was formerly the President of H&M the past 20 years, will become the new CEO. A new sales manager is coming in from Century Furniture. Gloria's position will be filled by Christie Teague. Everything will stay as you see it, no worries.
    Duane Collie

Thanks.

Lindalaw Guest

I would add, if considering a factory tour, Do It! Jimmy Moore made two covered buttons for me while I watched, and I keep them in my purse now, what a great time I had doing the tour. You can personally witness the work environment described by Duane.
    Last edited by Lindalaw; 11-08-2017 at 09:42 AM. Reason: typo

Tomorrow (Dec 22nd) is retirement day...I'll miss them, good people - they made the brand. They had their Christmas party this week.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	retirement.jpg 
Views:	400 
Size:	208.3 KB 
ID:	10453
    Duane Collie

This is fun, what the employees made for Jack Glasheen yesterday, they all signed the back of the rocker. More photos on H&M's Facebook page.

That's Tim Rogers presenting, he's the new CEO of Hancock & Moore, formerly the President and # 2 man in the organization

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25626823_1934372603257457_2015202553293443488_o.jpg 
Views:	420 
Size:	118.1 KB 
ID:	10476Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25498520_1934373313257386_7623912214645082168_n.jpg 
Views:	373 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	10477
    Duane Collie

This is great stuff, thanks for sharing!!

Congrats on their retirement to all!