Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kitchen chairs

QualityQuest Guest

Default Kitchen chairs

Duane,

Are there any wood dining & kitchen chair makers whose work you respect? Not looking for custom work due to price, but good-very good build quality. If I recall correctly, you stopped selling Windsor chairs a while back due to lack of demand. If people are not buying Windsor chairs what styles are they buying if they want wood kitchen chairs? Thanks.

Default Re: Kitchen chairs

This is a price-driven industry, so it all depends on budget per chair. I currently am buying Century upholstered dining chairs for floor models. Solid wood chairs is such a crowded space, they're all over the place and everywhere, with the vast majority of piece being imported. Most are dowel-joint chairs, to get into true mortise and tenon chairs, they will get pricey and will be domestic for the most part ( $ 1,200 per chair and up). For chairs that don't cost much, I like Hooker Furniture, or the Century chairs at higher price points.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

QualityQuest Guest

That's very helpful information (as usual!). Thanks, Duane.

I have some Stickley dining chairs that I've been happy with. I think they were ~$750 a chair or something like that, it has been about five years!

QualityQuest Guest

Duane,

Do you have any opinion about Pompanoosuc Mills (if you're familiar with them)? Specifically, I saw these chairs on "sale" (30% off MSRP) for $750 each:

https://www.pompy.com/product/dining...h-dining-chair

Any feedback that you could offer (build quality, design, manufacturer reputation, price) would be appreciated. Thanks very much.

I don't know that maker or of it - sorry.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img1001614.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	10706

Looking at these chairs I can tell you that I have some concerns about joinery and strength over time. There is no back posts on the chairs as part of the design, which means the vertical slats support the back of the units themselves. The arm itself is on a curve, which will put stress on those slats. Vertical slats such as those are notoriously prone to movement and weakness, and will tend to loosen with age. Best I can tell from one backside photos around the table they lack a locking pin so they are not mortise and tenon (which is what I would want in that design). Should you buy them, I would check the warranty term and specifically against loosening or breaking of the back. and I would absolutely make sure never to lean back in the chair like many people do and rock them back on the rear two legs, that would be catastrophic for that design. Good luck!
    Duane Collie

QualityQuest Guest

Duane,

Thanks so much for that incredibly helpful information. You just saved me a lot of money and aggravation.

QualityQuest Guest

Duane,

What do you think of the chair below in terms of build quality, design, value and manufacturer reputation (if you've heard of the company)? The price range is $575-600 per chair.

http://keystonecollections.com/produ...son-chair/3720

http://keystonecollections.com/diffe...ality-features

Your expert guidance would be very helpful. Thank you.

I think they are OK, but I don't like that they run a screw up into the tenons and joints (page 2 of "features"). That's not really something I would expect to see and would want to make me investigate that further. That screw can make the chair crack over time - but apparently they are lifetime guaranteeing it so there's that....
    Duane Collie

QualityQuest Guest

I had the same concern when I read that. What further investigation would you suggest? Is it as simple as asking the company (or the dealer) why they do that? Thanks, Duane.