Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update to White Glove Delivery Service - changing companies

Default Update to White Glove Delivery Service - changing companies

I will be transitioning to Sun Delivery Service as my preferred White Glove Delivery Service in the next few weeks.

I listen to customer feedback, and the number one complaint I get is length of delivery time, and secondly the difficulty in reaching someone by phone when you do call to get delivery status of your order. Sun Delivery should be better on both accounts as they are larger and more integrated than West Express / A&O Delivery whom I have used the past dozen years. They will be a more costly to use, but one thing being in retail for half a century has taught me is while customers say they want the lowest price, it's not at the expense of service. You may always select your carrier, you are not obligated to use my default carrier. It's your purchase, you can choose!

Want a higher level of service? Choose Plycon Van Lines for example. They will bring your pieces to your driveway in the manufacturer's original packing and have the lowest damage claim rate in the industry. However they are more costly and slower than most. Want a lower delivery cost? You can stay with West Express and A&O Delivery for that - just don't be in a hurry to get your furniture and know it will get there eventually.

Sun Delivery should be able to improve considerably on delivery lane times and status information if you contact them. "Should" is a relative term, however - delivery of furniture is not Amazon Prime, UPS or FED EX and it never will be. The White Glove Delivery Service does not run hubs like those companies do where they are moving trucks constantly and frequently. Sun has (3) distribution centers, one in High Point NC, one in Dallas TX and another in Las Vegas NV.

Sun, like the companies before them, do not take credit cards as payment. They are Certified Check or Money Order only. No cash or personal checks, either. If you REALLY want to use a credit card for the shipping, you can do it in conjunction with your order from The Keeping Room, and there will be a 5% surcharge to the freight quote - for the freight portion only. That covers processing charges for the card and my time to pay them their bill on your behalf. Just let me know at time of the order.

Typical delivery times with Sun from the time they pickup your order at the manufacturer's dock:

East Coast : 2 to 2.5 weeks
    Midwest : 2.5 to 3 weeks
    West Coast 3 weeks
    Oregon / Washington State 3 to 3.5 weeks
    Low traffic states such as the Dakotas, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Nebraska will be 3.5 - 4 weeks.

Examples of costs of delivery. A single sofa from NC to Florida:

West Express : $ 250
    Sun Delivery : $ 375
    Plycon Van : $ 550
    Last edited by drcollie; 11-09-2017 at 03:57 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Update to White Glove Delivery Service - changing companies

You have used Sun before right? I am pretty sure my H&M couch from you was delivered by them, but that could be a faulty memory. Interesting examples on the prices, thanks for posting that.

Yes, but its been a LONG time since I used them. There are just too many complaints about West / A&O on service lane times to delivery, and it's time to try someone else again in an effort to alleviate that issue. For those that want lowest possible price and don't mind the extra wait time, we can also use West / A&O as well.
    Duane Collie

One more pricing example, a Sectional going from Hancock and Moore to the Boston MA area;

Sun Delivery: $ 691
    West Express / A&O : $ 485

Before you choose on price alone, realize that I have no more information than you do on ship/delivery status with any of these delivery companies. I call the same numbers and check the same websites for status that you do. Frequently, customers think I have some special way of speeding along their order or influencing it, and I do not. Sun has a better tracking system, and you have far more chance of getting a live person on the phone when you call. Their delivery times should be quicker overall, we will see by the feedback YOU give me on how it all went. They have better equipment (trucks) and are more professional.

A few weeks ago I had A&O Delivery return a couple of recliners to my store that were mis-shipped at the dock by H&M and it was easier to bring them to my store than send all the way back (I could use them for floor stock anyways). I met the truck late Sunday night and was really shocked by what I saw. The delivery team was in a pickup truck towing an old dilapidated car trailer that looked like it was on its last legs. The two helpers getting the furniture out looked like they just got out of jail, and as they worked in the darkness of the trailer all I saw was the glow of their cigarettes as they unpacked the furniture. Really? Smoking when handling customer's expensive furniture? That was really the straw that broke the camel's back for me and I decided I had to find a more professional carrier group. I do NOT want that delivery service to represent my store, now when they look like that and use that kind of equipment to deliver your order.

So the choice really is yours. If the lowest rate is important, stay with West Express and A&O, realize what they are and that I cannot do anything to speed your order or influence their business model. If you are willing to pay more for delivery, then I think you will get a better experience with Sun Delivery overall, though it will take several orders and feedback to see how they are doing.
    Duane Collie

West Express just delivered our fabulous sofa Saturday. The two guys were nice, but there was a lot of stuff going on. They parked on the road and came up our partially gravel driveway with the big sofa on a small dolly. One guy walked off and one was pulling the sofa quickly. The sofa was swaying back and forth and looked like it was going to fall over. My husband ran out to help and he said he had it. They referred to my husband as Mr Boss and me as Mrs. Lady. They stripped the screw and were going to try and force the board off with pliers. They also seemed surprised that the sofa was packed in a crate. My husband went and got a tool he had and got the screw out himself. Thankful he was home. They were a day late because the truck broke down, which is out of their control. I think changing is a great decision and we would be willing to pay more for more professional.
    Our sofa did make it in the house safely and it exceeded our expectation. Very thankful for your business and looking forward to more pieces in the future.

It pains me to have to move to a more costly delivery service as my default company, I know that no one want to pay more. However, the complaints about West / A&O are becoming too frequent and I have to make that change as my default shipping service. Glad you are enjoying your new pieces, Brandi!
    Duane Collie

Judyg951 Guest

I think you were using Sun when my furniture came, but that was several years ago. I do remember the delivery guys as being very nice and professional. Everything was done exactly as described. The delivery came right on time and was set up properly exactly where I requested. We were very pleased with them at the time.

Yes, I did use Sun Delivery beforehand, about ten years ago, I think. They were always good but reluctant to take responsibility for damage claims. However, I think they have grown as an organization and are one of the better operators out there at the moment.
    Duane Collie

Quote Originally Posted by Brandi View Post
    West Express just delivered our fabulous sofa Saturday. The two guys were nice, but there was a lot of stuff going on. They parked on the road and came up our partially gravel driveway with the big sofa on a small dolly. One guy walked off and one was pulling the sofa quickly. The sofa was swaying back and forth and looked like it was going to fall over. My husband ran out to help and he said he had it. They referred to my husband as Mr Boss and me as Mrs. Lady. They stripped the screw and were going to try and force the board off with pliers. They also seemed surprised that the sofa was packed in a crate. My husband went and got a tool he had and got the screw out himself. Thankful he was home. They were a day late because the truck broke down, which is out of their control. I think changing is a great decision and we would be willing to pay more for more professional.
    Our sofa did make it in the house safely and it exceeded our expectation. Very thankful for your business and looking forward to more pieces in the future.
    Brandi,

Right there with you. The guys handling Phase II and Phase III of our deliveries were nice-ish, but arrived completely unprepared...both times. (The delivery guys working Phase I of our deliveries could not have been nicer or more professional...and were completely prepared.) Phases II and III guys (the same guys both times) had no tools for uncrating and, as in your delivery, they asked to borrow my husband's tools. We are reasonable people and can understand something such as that happening once, but not two times in a row. Truly, I do not know what they planned on doing to uncrate our furniture if my husband had had no tools! They were very rushed and were rather impatient as I refused to be rushed through the inspection of our furniture. One of the guys stood over me the entire time and kept telling me everything was good. I just smiled and told him I was sure he was right...as I continued going through my inspection checklist. That annoyed the guy. And, yes, the guys reeked of cigarette smoke. Thankfully, there was no such smell clinging to our furniture.

So, yes, my husband and I would have gladly paid an increased delivery fee for better service, including: better communication, guys showing up fully prepared, no rushing through, no attitude during furniture inspection. Again, the Phase I guys were all of that and more. Phase II and Phase III...not even close.

TXCajun
    Last edited by TXCajun; 11-27-2017 at 07:35 PM. Reason: for corrections and clarity

Hello all,
    Anyone out there had experience with D&D Delivery Service out of Thomasville, NC? Thanks.