Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Update to White Glove Delivery Service - changing companies

Default Re: Update to White Glove Delivery Service - changing companies

We have now had two deliveries (sofa and then two recliners) with Sun Delivery. We're in Silicon Valley, CA, so they pick up at H&M and then uncrate at their Las Vegas hub. They re-wrap the items, before sending them out for regional delivery.

I've been very impressed with their quality of service. They contact you well in advance to set up delivery. They call the day before with a 4 hour time window, and the driver calls 30 minutes a head of arrival. In both cases, we were toward the end of they day, and Sun called us an hour before the 4 hour window to give us a heads up that they'd be arriving in the later part of the window. It was a nice way of getting 3 hours back in your day where you didn't have to be stuck at home waiting for a call.

They really re-wrap the furniture. This isn't just throwing a blanket over it and hoping for the best. The chairs were covered in a white sleevelike material, padded with blankets and mummy wrapped in plastic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2061.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	123.8 KB 
ID:	10992

Both delivery teams were professional and did a sight survey to determine the best way to bring the furniture in. They made sure everything on the way in was protected, and they asked if we wanted to put any felt gliders on the bottoms of the furniture when they saw that we were placing them on hardwood floors.

I would comfortably use them again.

Dave
    Last edited by davez; 06-10-2018 at 11:16 AM.

Thanks for that feedback, Dave - its VERY important to get that so I know whom to use as a service. Sun isn't perfect, I've had two damage issues with them in the past year, however they don't dance around and ignore the claims, and do the right thing and pay H&M to restore the pieces. Overall I still rate them far, far above any other service out there.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

I have been satisfied with Sun Delivery Service. They do charge more, but they stand behind their work - and that's worth something. Don't be caught in the quagmire of shopping for the lowest white glove shipping service thinking they are all the same - they are not. Nor are all dealer's the same when a problem arises. This is not UPS vs Amazon vs USPS vs Fed Ex. The spread in delivery services is much, much wider. But let's say you just have to have the cheap guy, because your theory is "its going to eventually get here, right?" Here's what you can expect.

* Try to get someone on the phone - you have about 1 in 10 chance of talking to a live person
    * They will roll a truck to you area when its full, no half loads go out. So while you're expecting it in 2 weeks, it may be 4 weeks, especially in the midwestern states. 6 weeks in the Washington/Oregon/Idaho regions.
    * They often show up after dark and are always "in a hurry" and want you to "sign this" so they can leave.
    * They run old equipment that breaks down frequently, trailers have holes in them that can water damage your pieces.
    * The delivery team is responsible for damages out-of-pocket, so they will usually try to hide or deny damages, "We didn't do it - came from the factory like that".
    * They are reluctant to pay for restorations or will deny them altogether.

Whereas Sun Delivery:

* Staffs their service center 7 days a week and you can always get someone on the phone to talk to.
    * They go 48 state, even when they don't have a full load into a region, they roll the trucks out
    * They always resolve damages issues. This can be frustrating, but in the end it will get taken care of.
    * Their driver's are salaried, there is no reason for them to hide any damages from you, the customer.
    * They operate modern trucks and breakdowns are rare, and trailers are always sealed.

Things happen though. The difference between a good company and a bad one are not that they were two hours late, or didn't say please and thank you, it's that they take care of their obligations. Recently there was a bad experience with a Sun Delivery crew, they really mishandled the delivery and tore up the sofa and the customer's hardwood floor. This was a rare event, but nobody is perfect. To make matters worse, the sofa was damaged twice (that was a bad day). So the customer had to wait while the sofa was restored, but it was made brand new again at Hancock and Moore, stripped to the bare frame. It cost $ 1,900 in repairs to fix it, and $ 1,000 to re-finish the hardwood floor. Sun paid it, even though the total delivery charge on the order was about a quarter of that amount. That's worth something. There is no other delivery company that I know of that would do that.

Both the customer and I were both very frustrated, but I never backburned the issue by saying "You have to deal with the delivery company on this". I got a very nice thank you note in the mail today that I will share. I don't abandon my customers and we get through any issues together because that's what makes me different from the other retailers out there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Note.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	162.3 KB 
ID:	12308
    Last edited by drcollie; 08-23-2019 at 08:03 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.