View Poll Results: What color would you pick to accompany Weston cane burnished?

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • Capri butternut

0 0%
  • Capri harness

0 0%
  • Cameo mocha

0 0%
  • Aspen tobacco

0 0%
  • Hyde park earth

0 0%
  • Cameo carmel

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me pick a great leather!

Default Re: Help me pick a great leather!

Having worked with Duane for the ordering of our sofa, chairs, and ottoman, I highly recommend carefully considering his advice. He knows his stuff! We selected a Capri hide for our sofa and a Hyde Park hide with light burnishing for our chairs and ottoman. The hides work together, beautifully. We are happy-happy-happy customers!

TXCajun

Hi! I see you are a big fan of the Hyde Park “hydes” and also got a chair or sofa in a Capri. I know the Capris are described as buttery soft. I love the look of the Burnished hydes, am considering Hyde Park Cognac or Earth. Do the finished pieces feel much different ( if you remember) from the little samples.

I guess I’m wondering and maybe Duane can answer as well, are the little samples “pre-burnishing”? Or is it just hard to see any highs and lows on a little sample? Also, my little sample pieces seem more matte than the Burnished pieces of furniture I see, but that could be a function of size, lighting, finish applied, etc.

I’m still deciding between the more aesthetic choice of a Sundance large and small couch, which I think are so beautiful and would fit with the few other beautiful pieces I have that are from the Far East and many Oriental carpets; my family was in the import business.

And the more utilitarian large, rambling cushy Wrangler Sofa. I’m chronically ill and horizontal a lot. My 11 year old lab, though surprisingly light on her feet and trainable to go on a designated corner with “her” blankie, will usually be nearby.

My great room ( a formal living room is separate and not even in my thoughts right now) is long, large, open has a fireplace on one wall and will have a big TV wall mounted on a perpendicular wall.

How have you “felt” sitting on your different leathers? The furniture and coffee table approximate the size of a Wrangler.

Thanks and to anyone with opinions,
    MonicaClick image for larger version. 

Name:	14B47940-E96A-464B-8A52-736AD1170F5B.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	10554

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BEF4A49C-8FF4-4EA0-B5AE-FD471D06FC07.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	134.8 KB 
ID:	10555 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A686E3EC-855B-4701-B238-A8F3C1B94C19.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	10556

Floor and rock wall and dog in search of leather

There is as much difference between a luxury super-soft leather such as Capri to a Burnished hide as there is a hamburger to a steak. They're both beef, but that's all they have in common. Two different looks, feels, textures and performance. I have both in my own home and I like them both equally. It depends on the look you want to create and the textures you want to feel (and are willing to pay for). To some degree, lifestyle comes into play as well. If you want no fuss, no muss, then the burnished hides are pretty solid and tough. If you want to sit in a leather and go ahhhhhhhh.....and can avoid dropping a slice of pepperoni pizza on the leather, then the Capris and similar are magnificent - and without peer. Assess your lifestyle (you know if you are a slob, or not!) and choose accordingly.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

On the subject of picking a leather: here’s a set of questions on tonal variation and texture/softness.

I am trying to decide between Capri, Tiburon and Cameo for my 8172, Chesterfield with alllll the tufting ( a luxury, a pull-up and a burnished, how’s that for a spectrum?).

I have a lot of velvet / high end chenille furniture that has a two -tone quality, and I’d like a lot of tonal variation in my leather to mimic that effect (plus I have a lot of high-contrast antique oak, and a leather that is too consistent in color will, in my eye, look overly flat and “new” next to it). I am also focused on how a leather will look over time—and I love the look of an aged pull-up. LOVE.

On Capri. I ADORE the endless softness and—remember that velvet—I’m a sucker for a luxurious feel. I also am favoring Capri in that I’m a bit concerned the 8172 isn’t going to “sit” super soft, and I think Capri’s luxurious hand will offset that. I’ve looked at pics on the Forum, and some look like Capri has a lot of the tonal variation I covet, while others look more monotoned. I heave learned from you that color consistency is a tricky subject in leather—but will Capri “wear” with increasing tone variation over time? I know it is NOT a pull up. But that softness just slays me. Capri is irresistible.

On Cameo. The Cameo Burnished looks like it would be the best fit in terms of tonal variation, but I’m in a bit of a color pickle. I’m not sure any of the specific Cameo colors will be right. I’ll just leave it at that for now—I am going to have to ponder color. I’m expecting some inherited furniture, and only when it is delivered will I know about that. The look of the color of Cameo Stone in bright light is my hands-down fave—though it is darker in my apartment. And it doesnt have that baby-softness of the Capri. that is important.

Finally, there’s Tiburon. I love me the look of some old pull up leather. A million color choices there, and there is no question that it will give me the antique-y variation in tone I am seeking. But the waxy feel is a little cold in my hands. And I’m a little concerned that while it will have the perfect look for me—it won’t have the luxury feel of the Capri that I so crave.

Maybe I should go back to considering Mustang, which is a bonanza of tonal variation. But I somehow can’t picture it on tufting. Or look at Hyde?

Any thoughts, Duane? I guess what I’m hoping you’ll say is that while there are no guarantees in color when it comes to leather—the Capri will grow more “mottled “ ( not my favorite word) with time. I haven’t looked at Hyde. I dunno. I guess I’m just going to have to think on this. But as Dr. Collie, Fearless Leader, I’m wondering if you have any recommendations or insights.

Thank you.
    Last edited by BklynLanie; 01-08-2022 at 11:06 AM.

This is kind of like going to Baskin-Robbins and asking what flavor ice cream to get. They are all good - so it comes down to what you like! I know that's a simplified answer, but its the truth.

Let's break down those leathers a bit:

Tiburon is a classic oil and waxed infused "pull-up" leather from Italy designed to show color bursts under pressure (an unrefined leather buyer would say "it shows scratches"). Nobody does pull-ups like the Italians and it's a classic, old school choice that in many cases will look better in 20 years than the day it was new. It will have a waxy feel, many spills will stay on the surface giving some limited time to wipe them up and it will always be changing responding to those pressure marks. We had a saying in the trade "There is nothing like a good pull-up leather on a piece of furniture". This class of leather is largely mis-understood and is typically not for the the first time leather consumer. If Tiburon were a wine, it would be a Cabernet Sauvignon - takes time to develop a palate for it. It's Price Grade 3

Cameo is a pull up Italian leather like Tiburon that has been lightly sanded so it can take the toner coats, then is hand-antiqued at Hancock and Moore after the piece is fully built. A sealer coat is applied over the top to "hold in" the toner coat. This is like stone-washed jeans, we are creating the look of that 20 year old pull-up Tiburon instantly. Burnished leathers are very tough, very durable, prone to UV sun fade, and will be "noisy" and the leather will squeak like a horse saddle when you use the piece. Very handsome to look at. I have several burnished leathers pieces in my own home. Price Grade 4 due to the extra labor costs to create the effect.

Capri is a super soft leather from Germany that comes from a tannery that is a supplier primarily to the big fashion handbag designer houses such as Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Prada, etc. It is a naked hide with nothing other than a light Teflon topcoat and comes from the finest European steers, with very few imperfections as you will never find barbed wire scars or bug bites in the hides as most are high elevation grazing cattle. It's a hard leather to acquire, the tannery in Germany prefers to sell to the small goods leather industry as furniture uses large hides that have to be "cleaner" vs small goods. It is like sitting on velvet, however. It is not a leather for those that like to eat their meals on the sofa, it will absorb some stains. It will not change color over time unless its from soiling and/or UV sun exposure. It is a quiet leather that makes little to noise in use. The Keeping Room is the # 1 dealer for Capri and other dealers are afraid to sell it both due to cost and the fact it is a naked leather. The only other leather from Hancock and Moore that approaches Capri is Markle. Price Grade 4.

Mustang is a nubuck fine aniline. It has been brushed to have a nap to it, similar to a very soft suede. Soft or softer than Capri, but even more prone to retain spills. Price Grade 4.

I have all these hides on pieces in the store currently. It's not easy to select from swatches alone - nothing beats being able to see them made up on a piece of furniture. Few dealers will floor these high-end leathers, however. 90% of all Hancock and Moore dealers only show finished leathers on their display models and tell you "You must have a protected leather!".
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thank you, Duane, for your thorough and informative reply. A great deal of food for thought . May I say, I do appreciate this Forum thoroughly, and have a great deal of respect for your expertise. I wish you and your business nothing but the best.