Thread: Originally decided on Hooker, now having second thoughts

smmcc Guest

Default Originally decided on Hooker, now having second thoughts

Hello! For Christmas this year, my wife and I decided that we would treat ourselves by replacing our aging hand me down Broyhill reclining couch and loveseat. We visited a local Stickley & Audi showroom, which features Hancock & Moore, Braddington Young and Hooker among their in-house stuff. The one unit we kept coming back to was the Hooker Carlisle SS460-PS-188 reclining sectional, as it seemed like a darn good value at $3900 on sale. After doing some research on the brand, I've had some second thoughts as it seems to be a chinese import of mid-grade quality and I question the longevity.

For some household background: We have two dogs, both of which claim their own respective pieces of furniture while we're at work. We also have two cats that tend to leave our furniture alone, thankfully. Finally, we have a 4 year old girl, who loves nothing more than to create messes with crayola paint and markers.

Is there a better option for us in the H&M or BY lineup? The high end of our budget is about $5000. The Hooker sectional would fit perfectly in the space where the Broyhill pieces currently sit, so we'd either need a sectional of similar dimensions or another sofa+loveseat combo to avoid taking up too much room. I tend to prefer high-back design with something to rest my head against. Reclining would be a nice, but it's not a deal-breaker at all. Appreciate any recommendations!
    Last edited by smmcc; 11-29-2017 at 01:05 AM.

Default Re: Originally decided on Hooker, now having second thoughts

Hooker is 100% imported, most their product comes out of China. Hooker owns Bradington-Young, but B-Y is a domestic product and not really related to Hooker other than ownership, Sam Moore is another Hooker brand. While I have a few Hooker case goods in my store, all my upholstery is USA-made and I do see a difference, personally. No doubt the Hooker will cost less.

Permanent markers will ruin leather furniture, just so you know.

B-Y and H&M will be well past the Hooker price points.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.