Thread: BY 962-90 Discovey Sofa

rtmal1 Guest

Default BY 962-90 Discovey Sofa

Hello Duane,

Does BY offer any stationary sofas with a bustle back? I like the 962-90 Discovery, but want a hand tied base. Or do I have to go with H&M for that?

Thanks,

Ryan

Default Re: BY 962-90 Discovey Sofa

Why eat hamburger when you can have steak?

Nothing - from any maker - matches the Hancock and Moore Austin Series for best-in-class in a bustle back, and I've tried them all. That's why H&M continues to build that piece as a top seller for over 40 years. Everyone has tried to knock it off over the years, they never get it right. Pitch angles off, cushion core densities, height/seat ratios....you name it. Buy in the Just in Time program and you can get H&M at B-Y prices. To the best of my knowledge, B-Y does not currently offer a stationary bustle back. They did for a number of years, but it wasn't a very good sitting sofa.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

rtmal1 Guest

So how does the Viking leather of the Austin compare to the Document Leather of the Westwood. I have seen on here comments about document finish rubbing off on the welts. I think I am scared of finished leathers due to the bicast leather sofa I have that is peeling (I know top grain leather is far superior to bicast). I really like the looks of the Westwood with the finished back, but I know you pay for that as well. The sofa will be floating and the back will be the first thing you see when you walk into the house. Is there a large price difference between JIT Austin High Back to Westwood. In a perfect world I wood go Westwood in an analine pull up leather, but I can't convince myself to spend that much money on a sofa. I am guessing any sofa in a grade 3 pull-up leather woud cost at least 2x more than the same sofa in the JIT program.

Viking has less sheen, and less mottling than Document. It's also not as soft.

Any finished leather, from any maker, is going to loose its finish on friction areas (which the welt trim is one of). Finished = Paint. All paint wears with friction. Even aniline sofas will show wear over time, but in a different way. That welt trim is usually easily touched-up with a little color, which all my suppliers will furnish free of charge upon request. You can also minimize color loss by keeping the leather conditioned and wearing pants that have less friction than denim, etc.

Yes, you are pretty much spot on with your assessment of the price differences in JIT vs upper grade aniline hides.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.