Thread: is there a better option for a big mans recliner

airtech Guest

Default is there a better option for a big mans recliner

I'm tired of buying Lane or Flexsteel big mens recliners that wear out so I want to invest in a quality piece of furniture.I have some joint issues so my needs can be specific.These are my requirements
    1. 23x21 or larger seat
    2. 350lb limit or more
    3. 20" seat height or higher - the higher the seat the easier I can stand up
    4. I also don't like those puffy seat arms

I've spent countless hours looking online.Any help would be greatly appreciated

Default Re: is there a better option for a big mans recliner

350lb limit or more

This is the issue, most recliner mechanisms are not really designed for this weight level and you may experience failure of the mechanisms on a regular basis. Most mechanisms are rated for 275 lb., however there is a Leggett and Platt model that is rated to 350, its the G30 series:

http://homefurniturecomponents.com/c...&cid=664205518

I would start by looking for a recliner built around that G30 unit mechanism, and I would also get a power version, as motorized are less likely to get impact shocks which can shear rivets. I would then be mindful to always let the recliner cycle fully into the closed position before getting up from it, and try not to exceed the weight limit capacity.

I came across this unit that claims to be rated for 500 lb, though I have no experience with it.

http://www.vitalityweb.com/backstore...r_Recliner.htm
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

airtech Guest

Thank you drcollie - I've been looking at Leathercraft 2527 Austin recliner and also found this

EXTRA FIRM/BEEFED UP CONSTRUCTION - ADD 10% TO BASE PRICE
    Heavier gauge springs, reinforced frame joints, extra firm seat fill, and special order mechanisms

The mechanisms are rated at 350lbs so not sure what a special order mechanism is
    Last edited by airtech; 12-10-2017 at 01:38 AM.

Leathercraft builds a fine recliner, be sure you work closely with your dealer to make sure the mechanism is rated properly.
    Duane Collie

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    350lb limit or more

This is the issue, most recliner mechanisms are not really designed for this weight level and you may experience failure of the mechanisms on a regular basis. Most mechanisms are rated for 275 lb., however there is a Leggett and Platt model that is rated to 350, its the G30 series:

http://homefurniturecomponents.com/c...&cid=664205518

I would start by looking for a recliner built around that G30 unit mechanism, and I would also get a power version, as motorized are less likely to get impact shocks which can shear rivets. I would then be mindful to always let the recliner cycle fully into the closed position before getting up from it, and try not to exceed the weight limit capacity.
    Your site has completely changed how I'm viewing shopping for a leather recliner-- THANK YOU.

I'm wondering if things have changed in the past 3 years since your reply here about high weight capacity recliners. My struggle persists: very little transparency around reclining mechanisms being used and/or weight capacity ratings for finished pieces from the quality manufacturers.

Leggett and Platt's product lineup now includes:

• Heavy Duty Lift Plus - LIFT Recliner (450 lbs. Capacity)
    • 400EZ - Metal to the Floor (400 lbs. Capacity)
      and...
    • G30 - Suitable for High Leg Recliners (350 lbs. Capacity)

However, I can't figure out where to start to find H&M or B-Y models that are being built around any of these three mechanisms.

Any recommendations?

Sincerely,
    ~Matt (6'3, 350, and needs a recliner but dislikes cheap furniture with superpoofy arms that look like brown inflated/stuffed trash bags)

G30 is the standard recliner mech for Hancock and Moore, and I believe B-Y as well. My recommendation is to get a motorized recliner as its MUCH less hard on the mechanism than the manual version, and then do not get in or out of the chair until it is fully closed. Do that and your mech should be fine. If going H&M, we will custom reinforce the frame at no extra charge on the corners (B-Y does not offer that). Probably the Recliner you would like the best is the H&M Sundance, its big and tall and the frame will be stronger that B-Y (yes, its going to cost more than B-Y). And motorized.

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...dance+recliner
    Duane Collie