Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Form over function?

Default Form over function?

Hi, I am shopping over the phone with Duane. I now have some picture I can post. The preference of my family (because it's what they are used to), probably, is a large deep sectional vs two beautiful couches one larger than the other. The furniture will be "floating" in a large family room in a very open layout.

I'd been obsessing for a long time because a rock fireplace is the focal point of the room. For many years a very large flat screen sat in front of it, so everyone has faced that direction.

I recently cleaned the fireplace and LOVE USING IT. So the TV will go on the perpendicular wall. I hav decided to wall mount the TV on a gizmo that comes out and swivels, or since it's a room that is very long, on a beautiful credenza, on what that swivels quite a bit.

Sorry if this is too much information. I recently had new floors put down (plug for my installer, you can see them on FB). We got rid of almost all of our furniture because I'd had it for gasp! 27+ years and one was a well built hand me down large fabric sectional, other, was almost for show, white furniture from local store, Haynes, in a formal living room. The rug in there was so unique and (most commented) was spectacular, so that was the main thing you saw upon entering the house.

Family was in Orienatal carpet room, importing and designing, so they are often centerpieces of room. Mostly not down right now because we are enjoying the new wood and have to decide where they will live as we re-furnish.

SO, I'm interested in deep seating and love the quality of Hancock and Moore. If I'm going to buy furniture once in my life, I'm going to go for it. I'm homebound almost exclusively due to illness, so I'll enjoy and use it a lot.

Keeping in mind the deep seating, I've (we shall see) settled on the Wrangler sectional vs two Sundance couches one longer than the other. Neither my husband nor I are petite. I'm not tall, but quite chubby, so, a skinny loveseat as an option is out. A question I have for Duane is would Hancock and Moore do a "loveat" as what I've seen called an "apartment sized" sofa. Two wider seats on the shorter couch. The room shap is such that we'd probably sit there a lot. My husband is 6 ft I'm 5'4" and tend to tuck my legs under me when I sit. A three seat sofa for 2 people sound awkward. Right now I've placed my mother in law's carpet where I think the "shorter" side would be. It's not very short!

I realized that in the .wrangler, RAC 91" you have to add the length of the orner so it's more like the length of the long side approx 115.

I an ottoman will be a must too. Don't know if we could afford it in Hancock and Moore after these other pieces, but complementary and in same leather. Or completely different, would be an option.

The back of the Sundance is stunning, which of course Duane and some of you my know. Floating couches that you see from the back would make them real showpieces. I have used old carpet padding to mark out where a Wrangler would be. It is nearly 50 " deep, yet "only" provides 28" inner depth. It must be a behometh. It does leave 24" walkways.

The Sundance, of course could have more flexibility in its placement, I could write a zillion reasons why I think Duane and others would recommend it. The back. The placement. It's still deep at 24 inches. We could make up for the depth with a beautiful ottoman. Better flow.

So, I've given a lot of points in favor of the Sundance couches. I jotted down prices and I think, depaending on sizes The would be more expensive, depending on leather grade.

The question remains: would the Wrangler also work in this room? I definitely want seating that faces the TV and the fireplace. Also, it's just me and my husband, but we have a college age son who visits with his girlfriend (we live in Virginia Beach, he goes to school at The College of William and Mary ). An hour away. And a couple of good friends. We have a geriatric lab, she usually sits in her own chair by the window. I'd put a protector on one corner of the couch and she'd know that was her place.

Thoughts? I'll try and attach those pictures. Thanks!

I'm on an iPad and don't see an icon for attaching pic
    Last edited by Monk5990; 12-10-2017 at 04:43 PM. Reason: How do I add pictures?

Default Re: Form over function?

Trying to add pictures. From my saved ones. Took some. Says upload of photo filed on ones I took. Guess I'll wait toll Monday

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4320.jpg 
Views:	388 
Size:	189.8 KB 
ID:	10415Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4320.jpg 
Views:	388 
Size:	189.8 KB 
ID:	10415Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4305.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	207.9 KB 
ID:	10413Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4308.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	196.9 KB 
ID:	10414

I put old MIL couch, recliner and some kitchen chairs to simulate lengths of Wrangler
    Sorry my pix are in different places. Some uploaded, some didn't some I had to take.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4313.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	195.5 KB 
ID:	10417  
    Last edited by Monk5990; 12-10-2017 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Explanation

Hancock and Moore owns its own frame plant, so they have the capability to customize most any frame (most motion furniture cannot be modified) and I do it quite often for customers. A couple of notes on that, however. 1) It's custom, so be prepared for custom charges. Some customs cost more than others and all have to be submitted for a quote, which can take a few days. A fairly typical custom would be to size-down a sofa by - 6" for example. That will usually mean you pay the regular sofa price and then add appx $ 350 to $ 650 as a custom charge, depending on the model. Some are more, some are less. 2) BE SURE your custom exactly what you want. There are absolutely no returns on custom pieces.

I have to say, the Sundance is without question - the best looking sectional I have ever seen when viewed from the back. It's got STYLE. And even looking at it from the front its very nice. Most people like the comfort. The Wrangler Sectional is a big boy, and deep. There is one that is en route to being delivered as I type this to a forum member in Massachusetts as I type this, perhaps we will get photos of it in the room once it arrives? Though I don't know the schedule for delivery I have to think it will be this month.

Your room is beautiful. Myself I would put a Sundance in there without question - because it would look terrific.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sundance3.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	129.2 KB 
ID:	10418Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sundanceback.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	10419
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thanks Duane,

If I went with the Sundance, since depth of seat is important and each back would be so gorgeous, if I went with the Sundance, do/ don't you think two pieces would look nicer. Thanks!

Me, monk again. I sound like Tarzan. Childhood nickname, stuck. I just saw how curved the Sundance sectional looks from the back! Wow! I'd love to see your Mass customer's Wrangler, too. Any picture I could get from H and M of the Wrangler from the back?

I don't have a photo of the Wrangler Sectional from the back, but I would imagine it would just be vertical sewn panels as standard. I will make a request from H&M's marketing director for that photo and if she has one I will post it here.
    Duane Collie

Thank you! What do you think about two Sundance (one smaller) bs the sectional; if the depth is really an issue? Or even appeance wise

I really think its just what you prefer on how to configure the room is all.
    Duane Collie