Thread: CL find: 9 mo old Austin recliner needs new motor?

Default CL find: 9 mo old Austin recliner needs new motor?

I have paralyzing indecision on what I want for a recliner and Duane you have me 60% convinced at this point to just get the Austin over the Martial, but it's a hard decision sight-unsat. I figured I'd peruse CL and see if I could find one cheap enough to warrant a test period and came across a 9mo old Austin recliner in what looks like a 'painted' leather for $500. The owner says that they spilled in the chair and it shorted out the motor, so needs to be replaced. Am terrified the 'spill' is cat pee or worse, but figured I'd take a look at it if a motor replacement is DIY-able and if you can order one for me and if they're affordable, though am skeptical since they're not doing it themselves to avoid essentially tossing out a several thousand dollar recliner. Thanks in advance!

Default Re: CL find: 9 mo old Austin recliner needs new motor?

That's a sealed motor, a simply seat spill is highly unlikely to short one out. More commonly, they may have used it on a socket with no surge protector, in which case a surge spike can damage the switch, the rectifier or the transformer, not usually the motor. You would need to get an ohmmeter and determine which electrical part has failed by testing each component.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thanks Duane!

I can probably do that. I presume then that each of those parts is serviceable once I localize? In your opinion, would it be worth it @ $500 for the chair? They claim they paid $4k for it 9 months ago. The owner said they were told it wasn't covered under warranty bc it was a spill and they were given a quote of $200 for a replacement motor and didn't want to fix it themselves bc they moved to a smaller home and it didn't fit, but they weren't forthcoming with that info, kinda had to pull it out of them...I'm usually a bit wary, but that makes me even more suspicious.

Merry Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    That's a sealed motor, a simply seat spill is highly unlikely to short one out. More commonly, they may have used it on a socket with no surge protector, in which case a surge spike can damage the switch, the rectifier or the transformer, not usually the motor. You would need to get an ohmmeter and determine which electrical part has failed by testing each component.
    OK, I got them to knock a few bucks off the chair since it was a gamble - it looks brand new inside and out. Appears to be Aspen Olive leather, which doesn't look too too out of place with my blues.

Testing is done:

The motor works, the power supply works but is putting out 34V instead of 25V as labelled. The board inside the remote is fried. Though there is a tiny bit of a water mark on the leather at the back right (same side as remote pass thru but at the far back corner, nowhere near any electrical components), there is zero other evidence of moisture having been anywhere else on/in this chair or inside the electrical components, nor had either any evidence of having been recently cleaned on the inside. Not sure if the power supply isn't regulating and it burned out the remote without damaging the motor or if a surge could have done the same. Think I should get a new power supply and remote just in case the power supply is bad so I don't burn out the new remote? Can I purchase these through you Duane or do I need to go directly through H&M?

Thanks!

I’d suggest you try to buy direct from Hancock and Moore on the parts. If they insist you go through a dealer I’ll be glad to get them for you. Be advised if you go through my store there is no returns on parts.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Got generic ones on Amazon (figured if they were going to burn out, I'd prefer they be the cheap ones!) And it works flawlessly! Looks brand new and all for under $500. You were right about the Austin, Duane. I'd have been unhappy with the Martial after having seen and sat in this one in person. If I fall in love with this one, I'll order the glide version in something that matches our existing and give this one to my brother. Thanks for your help!!

Nice! Glad it was a relatively easy and cheap fix.