Thread: Warm brown (almost orange) leather option

Threaded View

ssfsofa Guest

Default Warm brown (almost orange) leather option

First off, hats off to Duane for running this fantastic resource. Duane, we spoke on the phone earlier today about a Sundance sofa+chaise situation, which sounded like it wouldn't be possible without going fully custom. A bit outside my price range for now, but I like your alternate idea about the custom ottoman!

Situation: My wife and I are having second thoughts on our leather selection. We went to a H&M dealer earlier today who didn't appear to know a tenth of what is in these forums, and they suggested leathers like the Document collection, or insisting that Protected leather is really the only way to go. The unprotected leathers that I felt were 'tough' like the Equestrian were dismissed. In the words of the sales staff: "Even if scratches don't show up, the oils will get you...". We had our two toddlers with us so I'm assuming that played into it.

We ended up settling on the Quest Chestnut which looked closest to the Equestrian but in protected leather. We weren't overly thrilled with either, but it looks like it has potential in the light based on the small swatch provided. We haven't ordered yet.

In reading these forums, I'm understanding that if I apply the 'Aniline Leather Barrier' and regularly clean/condition the leather, I can go pretty far with a 'non-protected' leather.

Requirements: The biggest things we want out of a new sofa is (a) that really warm brown coloring of the leather (b) nice feel and (c) resistance to scratches.

(A) was surprisingly hard to find in the leather swatches or in the images online. I now understand what a huge element lighting plays in showing the depth and complexity of these leathers, which makes perfect sense.
    (B) is hard when limited to Protected leathers.
    (C) I understand that scratches are actually a feature for some leathers, but I'm not looking for that at the moment, unless it's super trivial to get rid of the scratches.

Options: With those three criteria in mind, are there any leathers we should particularly pivot towards or steer away from? Here are the ones that caught our eye from reading over this forum but we wish we had some time with them in person.

1) Capri Harness (IV - Will likely avoid if I can due to $$, and I believe I read here that it stains pretty easily)
    2) Capri Butternut (IV - Ditto)
    3) Buckingham Walnut
    4) Equestrian Saddle
    5) Hyde Park Earth
    6) Hyde Park Tan
    7) Imperial Whiskey
    8) Wade Chestnut

Thanks!
    Last edited by ssfsofa; 12-24-2017 at 03:45 AM.