Thread: Who's heard of Leather Design

DazedandConfused Guest

Default Who's heard of Leather Design

Hi, I'm Mark. My wife and I are in the torturous event of trying to buy our first set of livingroom furniture. It has not been a pleasant experience. We have visited lots of stores in the Rochester, NY area. We have also found that all but two of the stores have horrible BBB records! We have read about the nightmares online that people have had with some of the cheaper brands. We have decided not to buy from any of the stores with bad records.

One of the stores that we are considering buying from sells many different brands, but the one we are considering is from "Leather Designs." We were told they are in Canada and they don't have a website. I can find no information about them. I only found a company that claims to have supplied the office furniture for them. Has anyone heard of this company? Are they a quality furniture maker?

Thank you,
    Mark

I've not heard of them, BUT.....there is virtually no maker of any merit in this day and age that does not have a web site of some kind. Did you lift the cushions and read the contents tag? (required by law to be on the piece). That will tell you where it is made, and what its made of.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

DazedandConfused Guest

Thank you. I agree that not having a website in this day is strange. I will have to go back and check the tag. Trying to find a place called "Leather Design" sure isn't easy either since it's just a common term.

I did a search and didn't come up with anything which is a bit odd even if the company doesn't have a webpage I would think there would be a mention in a business directory somewhere about them. Some stores sell could be a private label manufactured for the furniture store by another company and give the furniture line a name that is meaningless outside the store.

The store should have some promotional materials, copy of the warranty and brochures to give you I would think. Good luck!

I did find this when searching for leather designs Canada on google - http://www.ddfi.com/distinctive-innova.html

Yes, the key is the contents tag which shows the content of the material inside the piece, you know, the one that says DO NOT REMOVE UNDER PENALTY OF LAW. That's what you want to find on the piece, as it is required to have the maker's name on the label. Every State requires that tag to be on new furniture. If the tag is missing or gone, then the supplier source would be very suspicious.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

DazedandConfused Guest

Well it turns out that Leather Design is a company in NC. I spoke with an owner of the local store and it appears that the sales guy we spoke with doesn't know the product. The sofa and loveseat that we were looking at were Palliser Horizons which is a CA company.
    I still found nothing about Leather Design, but it's not the product I was looking at. I will be certain to check out the tags. Thank you for that advice.

Mark