Thread: Have I lost my mind? Look what I am going to try....

Default Have I lost my mind? Look what I am going to try....

I have always - ALWAYS - said I will not carry imported leather upholstery in my store. I don't really care for it. However, I do have walk in customers looking for less costly product than the USA makers I have represented.

Century furniture has imported lines and they are putting this chair and ottoman on closeout, with three units left. So I ordered one to see what it will be like, because I like the proportions and style, and who doesn't like a smoking hot deal? The price is just too good to not try it. $ 1,349 for both chair and ottoman on the closeout. Without the closeout pricing this would be over $ 2K for both pieces. I have no idea how good this chair will be, or what the hide will be like. We'll find out soon enough - and I can have fun reviewing it if nothing else. It should be here in a couple of weeks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plr_71co_loam_sm14.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	10544
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Have I lost my mind? Look what I am going to try....

I haven't spoken with you for a few days, but don't see any other signs that you've lost your mind. These pieces have a nice retro/contemporary look (I know that is somewhat an oxymoron), a nice broadly appealing color, and a great price for the set. As long as they don't give anyone splinters and the cushions don't explode when they're sat on...should be a nice set up for the price...so no need to check your self in for observation...

Looking forward to the comparison...

I'd be very interested in this if it checks out..

This Century leather chair and ottoman arrived today and I unpacked it and put it in the store.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-7221.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	143.3 KB 
ID:	10576Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-7219.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	172.9 KB 
ID:	10577Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-7217.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	185.1 KB 
ID:	10578Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-7215.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	181.8 KB 
ID:	10579Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-7213.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	164.9 KB 
ID:	10580

So, what do I think? As I unpacked it I was a bit apprehensive, I've seen a lot of trash furniture in the market. However, this is Century and they have a "name" even on their made-in-China pieces. It's better than I expected. You're not going to mistake it for Hancock and Moore, that's for sure. For one thing, it weighs half as much (my delivery guys would love it), so you know the frame materials are not as stout. However the leather looks good - its decent even if not inspiring. It's not bonded, bi-cast or from the splits, and that's a major plus. Seat cushion is 50% Down. Tailoring is good, better than what I see coming out of RH and Pottery Barn. And the chair sits well, I enjoy sitting in it. Comfortable to me.

What are the unknowns? Durability and Longevity. I have no clue, really. Due to the lightness of the frame, I don't think this will be a 40-year chair like a Hancock and Moore, but then again look at the price! It's 1/4 of the H&M so it lasts 1/4 of those forty years that's about on par with what it costs. I like it enough that I'm going to buy all their remaining stock at the discounted closeout price that are in this color. At $ 1,349 for both pieces, what's not to like?

If you're in the area, stop by and take a test sit, tell me what you think.

Note, they have (5) combo units left in inventory that are in all black leather. I am not ordering these for stock, as black sells slowly in my store, however they are available at the same $ 1,349 price...until they are gone.
    Last edited by drcollie; 01-17-2018 at 12:49 AM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.