Thread: Extra long sofas?

Batmom Guest

Default Extra long sofas?

I'm looking for a single piece sofa (not a sectional) that has a seating width between the arms of at least 100" . Does anybody make decent ones? Other preferences include:

- fabric, not leather
    - back higher than arms (not a Chesterfield style); arms at convenient elbow height relative to seat
    - tight back (not loose cushions)
    - reasonable seating depth (not a shallow waiting room style)
    - fairly high seat (20" or higher would be best)
    - total width can be up to @ 130", maybe a tad more
    - sturdy build
    - up to @ $4K
    - representative (could be loveseat etc) viewable within shooting distance. I'm in northern IL, can get to Western Chicago/SW Milwaukee/S Madison suburbs in 1.5-2 hours

Would welcome any thoughts or suggestions.

We are replacing an ancient Ethan Allen traditional sofa. It's in good shape but not wide enough for us anymore. I went to their showroom, and they have one model that comes close to our specs. It was miserably uncomfortable and didn't seem as sturdy as the old one. Now what?

Default Re: Extra long sofas?

100" inside in a single piece is a 5-seater, that's do-able as a custom, but I don't think you will anyone making a single piece sofa that long because its very difficult to deliver and install in a home. Trying to go around a corner with something that long and making a turn in a house may not be possible. What may work better is a 2-piece unit and you can get to that length as a sectional, and its manageable to get into the house, but you may have to go longer on the run length.

Take a look at Century Cornerstone, its USA-made, good quality and will come in close to your budget price as a single sofa (sectional would be more).

We are delivering one of their LTD 7600-1 Sofas this morning, but its only 89" inside run length as a standard item (111" outside). I'd take photos of it, but we are leaving in the plastic wrap since the customer's house is not done with the remodel. Here's the Century Cornerstone catalog as a PDF:

https://www.centuryfurniture.com/gal...ne-catalog.pdf

My advice is to get a LTD 7600-42 / 52 Sofa segment and a LTD 7600-62/72 Loveseat Segment and that will give you plenty of interior room with an outside dimension of appx 154" (depending on arm selected).

You can also look at Taylor King, which is very similar to Century Cornerstone in similar configurations.

https://www.taylorking.com/PDF/Category/21.PDF

To get your exact specs may not be do-able unless you go custom-build, and should you do that you certainly want to make sure its deliverable into your home. Good luck
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Batmom Guest

That'll be a little long but it looks like I could do what I want with two loveseats ..... I would rather have one piece than two but those are nice looking sofas and I think those both have good reputations?

The only issue here for delivery is doorway width. 12' long can go straight, all the way through multiple doors and have plenty of room to turn, etc. But, yeah, I'd want to know in advance if I'd have to take a door off the hinges or pull trim off.

Yes, both companies are USA made and ones I am a dealer for. As long as your doorway is 34" wide, you should be good to go.
    Duane Collie

Batmom Guest

There's an interior doorway that's only 31.25, so I'll have to watch dimensions. The EA sofa in there is quite plump but the back is maybe not as tall as some; if you take the legs off it slides on through.

Stay with loose cushion backs and not too deep overall, and you will probably be OK
    Duane Collie

Batmom Guest

Thanks! Discovered that one of our local shops carries Hancock & Moore. We'll wander over one day soon and see if we can find something we like that will fit .