Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I think I just wrecked my husband's recliner. Help!

Default Re: I think I just wrecked my husband's recliner. Help!

Do you live in a decent sized city? If you do, then there is bound to be a mobile leather repair service that can come to your home and re-coat that top pillow segment. If you have any of the larger car dealers (especially premium brands) they will most likely have a leather repair person comes by their dealership every couple of weeks to do the seats in used cars. You can always call one of them and see whom they use. Good luck
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

We live in rural upstate NY, in the foothills of the Adirondack Mountains. In an odd twist, this area used to be home to many, many leather mills/tanneries, but they are out of business now. When I was a little girl, the joke (which wasn't entirely a joke) was that you could tell by the color of the creek behind my grandparents' home what dyes were being used in the mills that week. I believe there is still a place operating nearby that creates and customizes leather for private jets. Maybe I can reach someone there for recommendations. Thanks!

A car upholsterer was going to be my recommendation as well.

Hmmm, just occurred to me that if/when you get the cover, it will also cover that spot and you won't have to look at it any more, lol. It better cover that spot or it certainly won't work to protect it in the future. And will be a matching leather.

Thanks for the tip about a car upholsterer Duane and Danw99. Closest luxury auto dealer is at least an hour away, but maybe they know someone who will travel out my way.

I did talk to a Bradington-Young representative today and was able to order a 17" x 17" head rest cover for $50 ($40 for the cover and $10 for shipping). The rep also suggested that, while they still have the leather available, I consider having them cut & ship a replacement piece to recover the damaged part of the chair and have a local upholsterer install it. I'm afraid that if the chair is taken apart and reupholstered, we run the risk of it not going back together correctly. I think I will probably just try to be happy with the head rest cover hiding the damaged area.

If you have received your headrest cover, you might be able to answer my question, if not maybe Duane can. I was just wonder what a headrest cover actually looks like. Is it a fitted cover that goes over the top of the chair or the back cushion of the sofa, or is it just a flat piece of matching leather that you lay on top of the cushion? If it is just a flat piece, does it attach in any way? I just wonder if it would have a tendency to keep slipping off. Does anyone have a picture of one? Also are they basically the same on BY furniture and H&M furniture? Thanks for sharing your experience with us, it may help me protect my new furniture and avoid what you are going through now. I do appreciate it!

I have never seen one in person in either brand. All that I have ordered for customers have been shipped to them directly.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Hi SueCT,
    The head rest cover was actually supposed to be delivered today, but I just got an email notice from UPS saying they are experiencing delays in my area. From my discussion with the B&Y rep, it is a 17" x 17" square flap. I'm not sure how it attaches. I expect it will arrive in the next day or two and when it does I'll figure it out and post a couple of photos.

Thank you!

If you don't mind me asking, specifically what soap do you use? My husband has the same problem.