Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intro new member- advice

birmingplumb Guest

Default Intro new member- advice

New to this forum. Licensed plumber, Detroit Mi area. 67 yrs old. Wife wants 2 gray leather comfortable recliners because I let her talk me into contemporary aqua leather Italian used 8k ( new) couch with chrome feet for $ 800 found on craigslist. Now since I cant lean back sitting on this thing, and laying on it you can't prop the laptop up on your bent knees due to feet "sliding" on slippery leather thats pulled tight on cushion.
    So after days of research here I am asking for a idea on a gray leather recliner, or 2- with Hancock Moore or Bradington Young made in U.S.A. as my 2 choices. The question is which model and leather. I prefer power, battery too, no wooden legs showing due to couch being chrome legs. I weigh 220 , 5-11 and she 120, 5-2". Everything used is red or brown, need gray, even black maybe white to match gray pewter walls. Dont think nailhead will go but open .
    Please advise me so I can just take the good advice and put this ned to rest. Motown P.S. I have a cat now or my wife does, and I know whats in store for the new stuff, so maybe a entry level grade leather unless there is a "cat proof" something i have not read yet.

Default Re: Intro new member- advice

My wife and I are of almost exactly your heights. We also wanted to buy two matching recliners, and sat in over 100 different models over the past several months. We found the Hancock and Moore's to be the most comfortable and well built. Our tastes were more on the traditional side, but so we didn't focus on modern. That said - the Monaco fit both of us well. It was also comfortable, even when in the straight up position. Not sure if its Euro/Danish look will work for you, but it was comfortable for each of us. http://www.hancockandmoore.com/Produ...Monaco-Lounger In other posts, the Manning got really good reviews for comfort and is available with metal legs. http://www.hancockandmoore.com/Produ...nning-Recliner Ultimately, we choose to get the just released Motion Your way recliners with the articulating head rest. http://www.hancockandmoore.com/Produ...otion-your-way They are on order and should get them in March.
    Last edited by davez; 01-21-2018 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by birmingplumb View Post
    P.S. I have a cat now or my wife does, and I know whats in store for the new stuff, so maybe a entry level grade leather unless there is a "cat proof" something i have not read yet.
    Our soon to be replaced recliners are 20 years old and had an aniline pull up (waxed) finish. We had a cat for most of that period that insisted on sitting on them and had a pretty bad hair ball issue. As long as you clean up quickly, leather is actually fairly forgiving. So, other than some of the real luxury leathers, you should be able to safely go with the leather you like rather than worrying about finish for the cat. If you're cat has a clawing issue...then you have a problem that won't be solved by your leather choice...

This post provides a lot of information about leathers - http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...-FORUM-lt-READ

And this post describes most of the current leathers in more detail - http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...r-Descriptions
    Last edited by davez; 01-21-2018 at 01:19 PM.

birmingplumb Guest

Thanks, I think you are pointing me in right direction.

From what I have seen, if you want a rarer color like grey it is going to be hard to find used, especially in power. If you have the budget, H&M for sure. If you want to save some money, then Bradington Young is a step below H&M but still good and above what you will find in most other brands and any branded furniture store. I have both a BY and H&M recliner and they are very similar, just the H&M is slightly better in each little way (nicer leather, more comfort, tighter tolerances on the lines, nails lined up a little better, etc).

If you don't want legs showing though I think you will have to go skirted? Not sure on that one.

birmingplumb Guest

Bought "Tessa" Hancock Moore recliner, in Gray, found " clearance floor model-no warranty" being shipped from North Carolina. Still hopeing dcollier has time find me a 2nd.Motown

birmingplumb Guest

They offer me 5 yr warranty $150 but prob going to pass. Got for under half retail of 4026$

If they are a authorized H&M dealer your recliner automatically comes with a warranty. Lifetime on the frame, three years on the mechanism, free replacement cores as needed. There is no need to pay $ 150 for the warranty.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

birmingplumb Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    If they are a authorized H&M dealer your recliner automatically comes with a warranty. Lifetime on the frame, three years on the mechanism, free replacement cores as needed. There is no need to pay $ 150 for the warranty.
    Thanks sir. Hoping you would reply. The chair is on the way. It is in the class 1 protected color of "hutton slate" . Was not told the color number just "hutton slate. I found this as close to a match (9083-30PRB Campaign Full Power Rec Sofa 2-Recliners-battery) since Tessa recliner has no matching Sofa or sectional. Now I have an idea on matching the recliner so as to have 2 or add a reclining sectional. 9083-30PRB Campaign Full Power Rec Sofa 2-Recliners-battery. Unless it is cost prohibitive. I know I will never find a matching item on clearance again. Motown

H&M does not use "numbers" on their leathers, just the names such as the "Hutton Slate".

That's a pricey dual recliner sofa, the 9083-30PRB and very heavy. Depending on the dealer, will sell in a general range of $ 5k to $ 8K in that leather.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.