Thread: What to do, what to do?

Hybrid View

Default What to do, what to do?

Good day.
    We just purchased our first H&M sofa. Went with the Sundance in Portfolio Claret. Thrilled about it. Additionally, we were goaded into buying two “great deal” (now realizing over priced) Maitland-Smith brown leather occasional chairs.
    My question is,we want to add more seating to the room, but 3 different style furniture pieces in one room?? Is it too much?

Considering a couple H&M Fireplace Chairs on either side of the fireplace, but not sure which color leather to get them in. Thoughts?

Any other design ideas?
    Living room is 28x16 rectangle, brick floored, cathedral ceilings, and a fireplace on one end

You should be able to find the sofa I’m referring to on this forum, however I have attached a shot of it and the chairs.

Thanks for your thoughts!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	622ACB1A-9583-4CE9-A09C-66473EAE30DD.jpg 
Views:	363 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	10592Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2D9AB522-D1D3-4E2C-AEE9-15D35717D23F.jpg 
Views:	367 
Size:	115.2 KB 
ID:	10593

Default Re: What to do, what to do?

Do you have a picture of the room with the furniture? If it has a red brick floor you probably don't want more reddish furniture. I think it also depends on what the rug looks like too, if you have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Danw99 View Post
    Do you have a picture of the room with the furniture? If it has a red brick floor you probably don't want more reddish furniture. I think it also depends on what the rug looks like too, if you have one.
    No, I don’t have a picture of the furniture in the room yet, as we haven’t taken delivery of the sofa yet. I’ve been trying to upload pictures of the room since you replied yesterday, but to no avail. I’ll keep working on it.

We will have a rug, it is a Kazak style rug with blue, cream, and red throughout the design.

I know pics... I’m working on it.

Thank you for the feedback.

R

Batmom Guest

You sure don't have to have all matching furniture to have it look nice. A fairly classic style in a classic color (tan, brown, hunter, navy, charcoal) would fit right in with the pieces you've posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Batmom View Post
    You sure don't have to have all matching furniture to have it look nice. A fairly classic style in a classic color (tan, brown, hunter, navy, charcoal) would fit right in with the pieces you've posted.
    Thanks for the comment. As for as upholstery, do you think maintain leather or go with fabric? And what style seating, chair, loveseat, another sofa, etc?
    This is probably the part that has me the most perplexed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2D628605-D7F7-4400-9A86-D32B877AECBC.jpg 
Views:	414 
Size:	108.2 KB 
ID:	10604

Alright. Here is a couple pics of the room and the rug. Furniture in pic of the room is not the new furniture. The chairs in the pic with the rug are the new chairs I’ll be using.
    As is, set up will prolly have the H&M sofa on the wall where sofa currently resides. Brown leather chairs will likely go where loveseat is currently.
    Looking for something the would go just right on either side of the fireplace I think. Unless y’all think that’s where y’all think brown leather chairs should go!

Thanks again!

Batmom Guest

The brown leather chairs would look nice by the fireplace but I think you could also put the chairs where the loveseat is and then maybe a chair-and-a-half where that rocker is, and something different (shelf unit? art object?) on the other side of the fireplace. Depends on how you think you'll use the room. The rug brings in a lot of wonderful colors that you could use for accents. It also lights things up, so your additional piece(s) of furniture could repeat the darker sofa/chair colors without looking too heavy.

Years ago Architectural Digest ran a piece on one of the big thoroughbred horse farms. In their gathering room, nothing and I mean nothing matched. And it was absolutely charming, the kind of room you'd want to gather in.

It would be good to have a better idea of how far back the room goes, is it open? (I can’t quite tell in the mirror) behind the loveseat?

A couple things jump out at me. Duane will tell you that you have bought the Hancock and Moore sofa with one of the most beautiful appearances from the back. It practically begs to be “floated” in a room, that is, positioned so the back is visible.

I don’t know which length of Sundance you got, but you may want to consider putting it in the direction where the loveseat is.

The TV on its stand is a little lonely on that wall. I’m not sure what the solution is, maybe wallmountimg the TV, on a mount that could pivot would be good, so it could be seen from the couch and other seating (I have to look at your room again.

You have beautiful high ceilings. Are those skinny windows on each side of the fireplace? The window treatments being different, some with just shades, some with curtains; I understand that you were probably keeping it simple on either side of the fireplace, but you may want to look at the different heights of the tops of the window treatments, pictures, top of mirror, it kind of joggles my eye around as I look at the room.

If the beautiful couch is facing the fireplace, maybe the two rather sizable chairs could be where the couch is...I have to look at your room again.

So, I looked at the pictures of your room again. I think the Sundance would look beautiful centered facing the fireplace, even though it’s counter- intuitive because you’d assume the couch should be on the long wall. The Sundance loses a lot being against a wall...I think. So, get the couch in; Try the chairs on either side of the fireplace facing it; try them on the wall where the couch is now.

I wouldn’t buy anything else until you have the rug, couch and chairs and “sit” with them for a bit. Maybe you will want ottomans. A different coffee table. Figure out how your TV position works best. Maybe you will want a loveseat. A chair and a half. Two other chairs. You’ll see.

I have seen a room on this site that I believe had one larger ?Sundance facing a smaller. It had the curtains go WAY up high. It looked great.

Or you just may want to look at the tone of the wi Dow treatments you have, the mirror, the doors, etc.

You have beautiful colors in your rug that ties in with the beautiful Sundance and gorgeous beams and high ceiling.

It would be great to get more perspective on your room.

Just my thoughts!
    Last edited by Monk5990; 01-24-2018 at 02:17 AM.

I just saw another post you may want to look at under leather upholstery, Hancock and Moore photos, “ Sundance Sofa” by a member named Brandy. The room is rectangular like yours with a fireplace at one end; gave me another idea. Look at that picture. I’m not sure if I should link to someone else’s pic. Looks like you enter the room and The Sundance is running the long way, sort of in front of, but with its back to the wall where your TV is. That would put your TV on the wall where the couch is now. Not sure if that works in your room, but might be a better way to orient your sofa along the long wall and still float it so you could see the back. Again, if it’s the 4716 the smaller sofa I think it might be good facing the fireplace.