Thread: Flexsteel leather??

Sarah Guest

Default Flexsteel leather??

We are searching for a leather recliner for my husband. Our budget is in the $2k range. He is 6'5" tall & close to 300 pounds. We are having difficulty finding a recliner that fits him well.

In our "local" area (250 mile radius) there are only a few dealers who carry H&M or BY recliners. Each of those dealers seems to have only 5 H&M or BY recliners in stock and none of them fit DH well.

We did find a leather Flexsteel recliner that fits him well. Will a Flexsteel leather recliner hold up reasonably well for 15 years or so for a large guy?

I appreciate your input - thanks in advance!
    -Sarah

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    We are searching for a leather recliner for my husband. Our budget is in the $2k range. He is 6'5" tall & close to 300 pounds. We are having difficulty finding a recliner that fits him well.

In our "local" area (250 mile radius) there are only a few dealers who carry H&M or BY recliners. Each of those dealers seems to have only 5 H&M or BY recliners in stock and none of them fit DH well.

We did find a leather Flexsteel recliner that fits him well. Will a Flexsteel leather recliner hold up reasonably well for 15 years or so for a large guy?

I appreciate your input - thanks in advance!
    -Sarah
    Wow! He's a Big Guy! I'm not really confident that the Flexsteel would hold up that well for someone his size over that length of time. It very well may, but I can't say for sure. Certainly it will work well within your budget.

Here's the ones I would look at for him, as these are made for tall men:

Hancock and Moore:

* Sadler
    * Miller
    * Royal
    * Weymuth

Bradington-Young:

* # 4229 (the large version of the 4117)

Because of his size and weight, I would expect even these recliners above to wear the mechanism over time. They use Leggitt and Platt, the best in the industry, but the bushings can elongate with use in about a decade, and the tell-tale sign is the recliner doesn't not want to 'close up' any longer. However the mechanisms in BY and H&M are replaceable and they have varying warranties on them. Right now they are lifetime on parts, labor not included, you pay UPS charge. Not real difficult to install, it can be done with some hand tools in a hour at home. Other than that, if the leather is kept clean it should go well past 15 years on those brands. B-Y will be under $ 2K in the Grade 1 or 2 or 3 leathers, the H&M's will be over that dollar amount but not by too much.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Sarah Guest

Duane, thank you so much for responding with specific model numbers.

We do not want to drive hundreds of miles on a wild goose chase but I would be willing to call some of the stores that are farther away to ask if they have those specific model numbers for us to check out.

I agree--I have concerns about how a Flexsteel will hold up for him. BY is probably what we are looking at price-wise but if we find the right H&M, I am willing to pay a bit more for it.

Thank you for your help!

-Sarah

Sarah Guest

One more question - he is a solid guy (not wide) so the width of the chair is not terribly important.

His main concern is that most of the footrests hit him mid-calf when reclined. He would really like for his feet to sit on the footrest since it cuts off circulation when a footrest hits you at your ankle or calf instead of supporting your feet. Do any of the models listed above have an extension that comes out when in the reclining position? If not, are there any other models in our price range that would accommodate a 6'5 guy?

I will be disappointed if I have to end up buying the ugly Flexsteel for my otherwise beautiful family room but this is a chair for comfort. If we can find the right BY or H&M that fits him well, I will buy it in a heartbeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    One more question - he is a solid guy (not wide) so the width of the chair is not terribly important.

His main concern is that most of the footrests hit him mid-calf when reclined. He would really like for his feet to sit on the footrest since it cuts off circulation when a footrest hits you at your ankle or calf instead of supporting your feet. Do any of the models listed above have an extension that comes out when in the reclining position? If not, are there any other models in our price range that would accommodate a 6'5 guy?

I will be disappointed if I have to end up buying the ugly Flexsteel for my otherwise beautiful family room but this is a chair for comfort. If we can find the right BY or H&M that fits him well, I will buy it in a heartbeat!
    Most the models I listed should meet that criteria. I have an H&M Sadler myself and think its the best of the lot (and it does have a fold-out extension as do all the others). If you REALLY want to go for comfort for your husband, and can accommodate the unit the all time comfort champ is the H&M Austin High Back Tilt Chair with matching ottoman.

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1252

This chair operates on a pneumatic gas strut and has all the benefits of a recliner plus it allows far more foot and leg comfort that a standard recliner when used with the matching ottoman. If you look for this piece, be sure to get the High Back model as the standard one will be too small for your husband. These are part of the Town and Country collection in three colorways, so if you stay in those leathers you can get fairly close to your target budget in price.

Feel free to email me or PM me if you need pricing info.

Good luck!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.