Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When to pull the trigger

Default When to pull the trigger

I have researched almost as much as I can. The price increases for the program pieces have already happened. I am only slightly reluctant because my budget dictates a 9840 City Sofa, my comfort yearns for the larger 9844 City Sofa, and my heart wants the pretty Rita sofa that I can't find any evidence anyone on the internet has ever ordered, lol. I see that the current Program pieces, which are really good buys, took effect March 1, 2017. If there were going to be further changes to the pieces or leathers offered would it likely be on March 1 again? Is there any real possibility that they might offer new or additional choices like the larger City Sofa or a full aniline leather? I know prices would be still higher for those pieces if they did, but I could stretch the budget some, just not as far as I would need to right now to get a non-program piece. I am hoping since the 9840 City Sofa is one of their top sellers that there is not a big chance they would remove it, although anything I guess is possible. I would just be so disappointed if I missed out on the larger sofa. I also wondered if there is generally a bigger delay with shipping when not as much furniture is being ordered at certain times of year while waiting for a full truck load to come north, or at the factory in very busy times. What say you, fearless leader?

Default Re: When to pull the trigger

Just from what I have seen, they usually announce changes in advance and Duane posts them. Never a guarantee but if you are worried about a price increase or change in the line-up I think there is a good chance you'd have a week's notice or so to get an order in beforehand.

I actually would like to see a change and would wait for it if it was going include new items and leathers. Thanks, I am hoping he has some idea or advance notice.

I don't think you are going to see any program changes for a while, and if they do happen, likely in July (you pick the year).

In order to do these program leathers, they have to commit to a huge, and I mean HUGE number of married covered kits and even loose hides for the anilines in the programs. To get aggressive prices, they have to buy large quantities, and the leather is the single most costly item in the build. Take for example that 9840 City Sofa. They have to buy appx 500 covers in kit of each color, and commit to an annual production run so the jobber can gear up in order to get the price down for them. So you have a lot of inventory, and a long commitment to buy a given pattern in a color / style. Multiply that by all the items offer and it adds up to millions of dollars in leather inventory on hand. That means you don't change often, its a big deal to add or drop an item.

I have asked repeatedly for the # 9844 City to be in the program, and several years ago they did include it - and it did not sell in the numbers needed to so it was taken off program. It's very difficult to get something put into that deal when it didn't succeed the first time, I do not see it being added. The 9840 has always been a top seller, I don't imagine it will be taken off program any time soon.

The only word of advice I have is this: Hancock & Moore is not throw-away landfill product like so much furniture these days. It will last a very long time, so whatever you get you should really like it as its going to be your sofa for the next several decades. A bargain or a deal - really isn't - if you don't like what you buy. Long after you forget what you paid for a piece, you will still be using it so its important to be satisfied with your purchase.
    Last edited by drcollie; 02-03-2018 at 06:18 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thanks for your advise. The only one I would be tempted to spend the big increase in money for might be the Rita, but I could not find even one picture of it online other than the H&M website picture that everyone else uses, much less find one I can see in person or sit on. So that would be a huge leap of faith even if I was willing to go beyond my comfort level price wise. The bigger City would cost almost as much with none of the style. I would have bought the larger one in the program, but timing is everything in life. I can always put this one in the computer room or basement family room (if i ever decide not to use it for storage, lol) in 10 years if circumstances change and I am comfortable spending more. I believe in getting the best quality you can afford, so that is what I plan to do. I really don't want to wait until July. I work hard and am on my feet all day and I really need a comfortable place to relax and put my feet up once again when I get home. Just a couple additional questions. Does anything much new usually come in March? If I order in the next few weeks am I likely looking at extended wait times for a truck to fill up this time of year? Doesn't seem like it is probably a big furniture buying time, at least until tax refunds start coming in, lol.

Actually tax season is the SLOW time of the year, not the busy time. Most my customers pay in - they don't get refunds!

April and October are when new items are shown at the High Point Market. I have already seen them this week in sketch form for the April Market. Once introduced to the dealers at Market, they will not usually be on showroom floors until 3 to 4 months later. I am just now getting the items I ordered at the October 2017 Market, for example. At the consumer level, you won't see the new items until the come on the website, which is usually in early July and early January. Sometimes I take photos of the new pieces at Market and post them here when i can. My last attempt was a disaster - all my photos where lousy as there was some setting on my camera that made them mostly un-usable.

Sun Delivery runs all 48 states pretty regularly. Only if you are in the Dakotas, Montana, Nebraska, parts of Idaho and Wyoming are there extended delivery times.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Just looked at the rita, it looks very nice, a refined chesterfield look. Hope you post picture if you order it!

If you scroll down to post #8, there's a picture of the Rita sofa Duane posted from Spring 2016 Market.

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...Moore-Showroom

Wow, thank you! Is it me, or does it have a curved front? I don't see a curve at all on the H&M website, but it looks like it there.

I stopped at my Stickley dealer today to sit on the City Sofa again, and I mentioned the Rita and that I had given up on a Rug ottoman. Guess what? They just ordered TWO Rug ottomans and they should be in around 3 weeks from now. Not sure if it will be before the sale is up or what the colors will be, but I can see one in person, buy one if I like the rugs and see what it looks like with a couple a different sofas. They actually encouraged me to forgo an ottoman and spring for the Rita, lol. They said if you are ever going to brave enough to take a leap of faith on a sofa, a Hancock and Moore sofa is the one to do it on. The said they have never had anyone unhappy with one of those sofas. The salesperson I have been working with has told me twice she considers them better quality than their own Stickley brand.
    Last edited by SueCT; 02-03-2018 at 09:34 PM.

If I did order the Rita, it would have to be a class 1 leather. I am currently only considering Columbia Blackberry, Columbia Butternut, or Columbia Coffee. If you have any recommendations, I would appreciate it.