Thread: Bradington Young Luxury Motion Sectional - Leather selection

bobdotcom Guest

Default Bradington Young Luxury Motion Sectional - Leather selection

Hi - my wife and I are looking at the following setup for a leather sectional to replace an older sofa.

From left end to right end:

932-58: RAF One arm stationary loveseat
    932-68: Corner wedge
    932-22: RAF Straight console w/full reclining chair
    932-33: Armless reclining chair
    932-16: Wedge console
    932-17: LAF outside Arm fully reclining chair

Our initial leather selections for consideration are: 9077-97-F, 9067-97-F, 9110-97AP.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome. We just learned about B-Y this weekend as we started to look for replacements. Also, we don't know too much about leather grades other than what we read here. Our kids are grown, but we have two small shih tzu dogs. This is for a family room and is a primary use sofa.

Default Re: Bradington Young Luxury Motion Sectional - Leather selection

Check out the thread A PRIMER IN LEATHER. This would be your starting point.

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...-FORUM-lt-READ
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

bobdotcom Guest

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, I have read that, but printed it and re-read again. Excellent information. Number one - caring regularly for the leather is most important factor to long-term condition. We have taken pretty good care of our sofa, which is a 'mid-grade' treated leather and it's lasted ~24 years, two kids (now adults) and two dogs. It's a 3x2 sectional with a rounded corner unit and we have three cushions that are fairly scratched up, but could probably be refurbished, or definitely recovered, but we are looking to change the style.

Otherwise, from the post, I took away that the feel of the leather sample is most important and to pick a color from a 'group' that works - don't expect an exact match. Also, the grade equates to price, not to quality. The finished/aniline discussion is very in-depth and you make a good case for aniline/unprotected leather. However, I expect we will probably end up with a finished leather because of the cost difference.

I'm not as familiar with the leathers in the B-Y collection (or the brand for that matter). The samples we have all seem to have a nice feel and, obviously, we are looking for a darker slate color (although one has a brownish base). Any additional guidance on the pieces or the leather would be helpful.

Not so much recommendations - just trust your sense of touch and feel, and then check out what color looks best for you. I don't think there are any current leathers I would suggest you avoid - they have a pretty good line-up right now. I just put in about twenty new ones in my B-Y handles on Friday, and there were some very nice ones in this new group - many in GR 1. Those have just hit the dealers, and may or may not yet be in your local dealer's handles, you can ask if they have the new October swatches and the new categories set up yet? Some stores set those aside and wait for their sales rep to come by and re-work the handles.

There used to be six price grades on six handles, effective tomorrow the 19th of Feb, there are now five price grades on four handles. And a price increase! Some GR 1 leathers became GR 2, some GR 2 became GR 3, etc. of the leathers you are looking at none have changed price grades

9077-97-F, GR2
    9067-97-F, GR1
    9110-97AP GR1
    Duane Collie

bobdotcom Guest

Thanks, that's good to hear about the B-Y leathers. I did see your other post about the grade consolidation and price increases. I thought it is odd they would implement a price increase over big 3-day weekend, but what do I know?

One other related question - I reviewed the big spreadsheet of B-Y prices, but did not see any prices for the Luxury Motion collections. Are they listed elsewhere on the site?

I have not updated that price sheet in some time, its very much out-of-date. Just email for quotes or you can put in a request here on the forum in the section provided
    Duane Collie