Thread: Caress and Primo leathers

Bcrule Guest

Default Caress and Primo leathers

Hi Duane,

For my new sofa, I am wanting a light (not stark white, but very light) leather. I have gotten many samples from you, ranging from Caress through Primo.

For my own education, would Caress be considered a semi-aniline? I know it is a "painted", protected leather, but the H&M description of it does say aniline dyed. I wish their descriptions were a little more detailed. Some of their leather descriptions seem more informative than others.

The Primo leather samples - well, they picked an apt name for this series. They are beautiful. They also seemed to stain if you looked at them cross-eyed (olive oil, spaghetti sauce, and coffee for the first go-round). I was pleasantly surprised that after about 3 days, the stains had mostly disappeared. And this was on the "linen" color. I wish my crystal ball was working to know if I would always have some stain or another in the process of disappearing.

Balancing the beauty of the Primo with the practicality of the Caress (which actually looks pretty good and is rather soft)....

I know they are at vastly different price points, but I am trying to not let that influence the decision. Obviously just because you can afford something doesn't mean it is always the best choice.

As always, I appreciate your time and knowledge you share on this forum.

Default Re: Caress and Primo leathers

Caress has been in the line for years....its a top-coated, pigmented leather (for all practical purposes, a semi-aniline and finished hide are nearly the same). Caress is very soft, and whats important to note is that is has no shading effects - its a monochromatic leather. So it will give you a modern - or simple color look.

The Primo is a huge step from the Caress and quite expensive. It's extremely fine, very silky, and as good as leather gets. And surprise.....its from one of the few remaining USA tanneries. You can't throw things at Primo and expect them to all roll off - just like you could wear a gold Rolex working as a car mechanic - buy why would you? You have to appreciate it for what it is, what it costs, and know its elegance. That all comes down to lifestyle and how you intend to use the piece. Having said that, Leather Solutions makes a barrier topcoat product for hides like that which is probably a good idea to apply when new.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Bcrule Guest

The tannery information is very interesting - thank you!

In your experience does the Leather Solutions change the color at all?

The barrier product from Leather Solutions is water-based, and like all water-based products will initially darker the leather, however in my experience it returns to its original shade once it dries. Always test in an inconspicuous spot first, and do not over-saturate on application.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.