Thread: Patina

Default Patina

Hello,

I have a few questions about patina on aniline leathers. My wife and myself are new to the world of aniline leathers and are close to getting our first aniline dyed sofa/loveseat. I have learnt a lot from this forum and perhaps some of my questions have already been answered. I apologize if the questions are a repetition of a post elsewhere on the forum.

1) Is there such a thing as a bad patina? What would cause it and how would one prevent it ?
    2) As a newbie I always assumed patina to be a darkening of the leather. I am thinking that may not always be true. Are there circumstances that cause the same leather to darken in areas and become lighter elsewhere. Sunlight would cause fading but that would not be considered patina would it?
    3) Can patina be slowed down or hastened up?
    4) How should one choose the leather color suitability while buying furniture - by the color when it is new or by trying to imagine how it would look when it develops a patina?
    5) I am assuming that the seat/backrest/arms would develop the most patina compared to the sides and back of a sofa/chair. Does one attempt to develop patina evenly over all surfaces of a sofa/chair ?
    6) From what I have read pull-up leathers develop a good patina over time. How about other leathers that are more monochromatic to begin with ? Does burnishing leather affect how patina develops ?
    7) Does patina depend on the type of dye used (color of dye/chemical or vegetable dye)? leather used (thick/thin) ? or both?
    8) Is it easy to distinguish between patina, dirty leather and a discoloration of leather (due to chemicals etc) ?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Default Re: Patina

1) Is there such a thing as a bad patina? What would cause it and how would one prevent it ? No. Patina is highly desirable.

2) As a newbie I always assumed patina to be a darkening of the leather. I am thinking that may not always be true. Are there circumstances that cause the same leather to darken in areas and become lighter elsewhere. Sunlight would cause fading but that would not be considered patina would it? Sun Ultra Violet rays are just damage, and will blow the color out. Slow exposure to indirect sunlight can build color tones to some degree.

3) Can patina be slowed down or hastened up? Patina is done naturally over time, that's why its called "Patina". Use, care, exposure - all contribute to it.

4) How should one choose the leather color suitability while buying furniture - by the color when it is new or by trying to imagine how it would look when it develops a patina? Any pure aniline, vegetable dyed leather will build patina, finished leathers will not. A pure, natural leather would build it the quickest, but not maker that I know of offers it (see photo at end of post)

5) I am assuming that the seat/backrest/arms would develop the most patina compared to the sides and back of a sofa/chair. Does one attempt to develop patina evenly over all surfaces of a sofa/chair ? You cannot control Patina, it's a natural development. Use (friction) and exposure areas will develop faster than other segments.

6) From what I have read pull-up leathers develop a good patina over time. How about other leathers that are more monochromatic to begin with ? Does burnishing leather affect how patina develops? Burnished leathers ARE pull-up hides that have been tinted and glaze. They will still build patina however in a different manner. Less coloration and more surface textures is my experience.

7) Does patina depend on the type of dye used (color of dye/chemical or vegetable dye)? leather used (thick/thin) ? or both? Only vegetable dyed leathers build the desirable patina.

8) Is it easy to distinguish between patina, dirty leather and a discoloration of leather (due to chemicals etc) ? Absolutely! Dirt and soiling is evident, and is not patina. The real key is to use and enjoy the piece, but keep it clean and conditioned - and be patient! It will develop over time - 5 years - 10 years - 20 years, etc.

Here's three wallets showing Patina. The bottom one is 100% natural - ideal as a base for natural patina. The middle shows wonderful use and patina over time - this is how the wallet will age from the bottom photo. The top one is old and still shows excellent patina. For myself, I only buy pure aniline Italian wallets such as what you see here because they last many years and look better with age. A man's wallet is in a much more harsh environment than a piece of furniture however (use, exposure to moisture, sweat, etc).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	walletpatina.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	10715
    Last edited by drcollie; 02-20-2018 at 08:35 AM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.