Thread: Need advice: Best recliner to sleep on, for senior (84-year old father)?

dcmdf Guest

Default Need advice: Best recliner to sleep on, for senior (84-year old father)?

My father is unable to sleep in a regular bed due to pain and discomfort. My family feels he would be more comfortable in a recliner, and could possibly get a good night's sleep, or at least more sleep, in a comfortable recliner that stays back when reclined. The one they have now is awful because it doesn't stay in the reclined position without putting a ton of weight at the of the chair, which is impossible.

Thanks for any advice about this. I basically need to know which recliner could replace his bed.

Default Re: Need advice: Best recliner to sleep on, for senior (84-year old father)?

I slept in a recliner for a couple of months when my daughter was born, and it was ok but not as restful. Have you guys already checked out the adjustable beds that will recline and sit-up? That might be a better bet. Like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	51LVGSmlUzL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	10727

I am not sure how they compare price-wise, but since recliners are not designed for sleeping every day for longer periods my guess is it would probably wear out faster than a bed made for it.

Default Re: Need advice: Best recliner to sleep on, for senior (84-year old father)?

I have known many patients who slept in recliners, usually due to breathing problems. My suggestion would be to see about renting a recliner first if possible to see if it was helpful for him. Don't forget you can't roll over or change position as well in a recliner and pressure sores can become an issue. They are very painful. So if he can get out of it for day time to walk or sit up straighter and change where the pressure points are, it would be helpful. You can also rent a hospital bed that changes position and see if that helps. You can always purchase one or the other in something higher end and even more comfortable if you find the bed or recliner is really helpful for him. Those items can be obtained from a medical supply store or maybe from a rental store.

On the other hand, if just bought him a nice one, if it didn't work for sleeping it would still be a comfortable place for him to sit during the day.

I am new here but do have a sleeping problem, have not slept in a bed in about 6 months and have high blood pressure as well as diabetes, am overweight.

I have to sleep in a recliner like this to be able to get any sleep at all and have not had a sleep study done yet. Talked to my doctor about giving me something to help me sleep but she refuses to do that. I have tried to sleep in my bed but am unable to sleep in it, lay there for hours without going to sleep, i do have arthiritis of the knee and when i lay down for a few minutes my knee gets stiff and starts to hurt so i have to get up after a short period of time. Have thought about getting an adjustable bed but they are so expensive .

The recliner is in the living room and that makes it hard to get to sleep when my husband is not ready to go to bed and wants to watch the tv. Or get up in the midde of the night wanting something to drink and i am in the recliner in the living room and the kitchen is just in the next room and it is a open floor plan so i am waking up when he comes in the kitchen to get something to drink.

I do not think i would be able to sleep in a sleep study because i cannot sleep in a place where i am not used to being unless they would have a recliner. Would love to be able to get back in my bed and get a good nights sleep.
    Last edited by drcollie; 11-30-2018 at 12:42 PM.

I don't think you are going to find an answer in a furniture forum - better to consult with your doctor on a course of action.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.