Thread: H&M Hyde Park Earth Without The Burnishing?

Default H&M Hyde Park Earth Without The Burnishing?

We love the coloring of Hyde Park Earth, but do not want a burnished leather. Has anyone used this leather without the burnishing and how did it feel and look?
    Last edited by Boho girl; 02-25-2018 at 10:29 AM.

Default Re: H&M Hyde Park Earth Without The Burnishing?

Burnishing is a toner coat applied AFTER the piece has been produced. So you can't really order it and get the same results/colors in a non burnished effect. Look to a different hide such as Boston Tobacco, which will color similar to HP Earth and is non-burnished. You can see a photo here on the forum search for Expedition Chair.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thank you Duane,

I have been scouring all the posts to try and nail down the leather we want on our H&M recliner (either the Journey or the Blackhawke). I interpreted from a previous post that I could order a burnished leather without the burnishing, so that it would not lose its "pull up effect".

Here is the quote I am referencing:
    "West Cane is the same way, and Weston Sunrise. Pull up leathers form the base for most burnished leathers, however once they ARE burnished and sealed, then the pull up effect is gone."

Here is the link: http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...tiburon+toffee

I understand that the Tiburon and Tuscany have great pull up qualities and color bursts and build patina over time, which is what we want. However, the colors that H&M offers in these leathers are dark. We like the lighter/golden coloration of Hyde Park Earth. We also want the leather to age naturally and develop the high and low colorations that you see if you google "Vintage French Leather Club Chair". We don't want any hand applications, or coloring added as we don't think it looks as natural. And my understanding is that once you put a topcoat (burnishing) on, this prevents the pull up effect from happening. We also want to have the seat cushion in Mohair.

Attached is a photo of the leathers we like in order of preference:

1. Hyde Park Earth Burnished (color is great, but want a pull up leather that will build patina over time)
    2. Custer Tobacco (LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the oiled/waxed feel and that it marks up super easily, but too dark)
    3. Tuscany Saddle (too dark and leather seems thin)
    4. Mesquite Saddle (not warm and leather seems thin)

With all that said, can we order Hyde Park Earth without burnishing and would it achieve the effect we want?
    Any other suggestions on leathers we should consider?
    I want to order this before Mar. 1, before pricing changes.

Thank you!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HM Leathers.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	154.5 KB 
ID:	10738  

I hate to have to tell you this, but you are focusing too tightly for coloration in a category that is notorious for color variances. If you are seeking color accuracy then you almost have to into finished, or painted, leathers where the color comes out of a can and is consistent. All these pull-up and aniline burnished leathers will have color variances from piece to piece, and batch to batch. Sometimes its 5%, sometimes is 20% - but it will vary, that's a guarantee. Why the color variances? Because Paint COVERS a hide and dyes ACCENT a hide's base and natural color. Paint lies on top, Dyes go into the leather. All these leathers have light and dark areas and all are lovely, but they are inconsistent even from a CFA to the final product. Samples are loose, when leather goes on a piece its pulled tightly and the color hues and shades change from that pulling. Eyeballing samples by laying them out and looking at them trying to get the right hue will not be indicitive of the final finished product.

Can you order a Burnished leather in an un-burnished state? Yes you can - however if you are not happy with the end result you have no recourse for refusal or a basis for return. I would discourage that, and you would have to sign off on a pre-production sample with that understanding. Hancock and Moore are experts at what they do and I think they are best in the business. Trying to get them to do something for you that isn't normally done - well there's a reason they don't do it that way. You are trying to customize something that wasn't design to customize in this manner and the end result may not turn out as expected. It's throwing a lot of red flags for me as a dealer, so please proceed with caution and make sure this is what you want.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thank you Duane, I appreciate your candor and have adjusted my sights

I just sent you an email for a quote on a couple of different options that we are considering. Thank you again!