Thread: Side tables/Chests

Default Side tables/Chests

I have been looking around online for some time for a piece to use as a side table for a sofa that has significant storage inside. I find tables with a single small drawer on top but that is about it. I noticed the chest next to the Sloan Sofa on the Forum picture. It looks structurally very similar to what I was thinking about. Can you tell me anything about it? Who might make that type of piece? Searches usually start turning up bedside chests. I am not even sure what I should be using for search terms to find them. I would like to see a full picture of the piece and find out who makes it, what types of finishes it is available in, and what it is called. Hope you can help.

Default Re: Side tables/Chests

Have you looked at nightstands instead of side tables? They can often be larger and have multiple drawers or a door with a shelf inside.

Yes, but they just don't look right to me. I have one there now, and I would like to get something nicer for the new sofa. Not really sure how much I need to budget for this, either. Can you get decent quality for 1,000.00 or less any more? I don't want cardboard. If not, how much will something nice likely cost and what are the good brands? I have one Hooker piece, but I would like that or better in quality. Better is, well, better, lol. I want a solid wood top or at least a quality veneer on top of solid wood, solid well constructed drawers and drawer fronts, not particle board sides. Who makes that in case goods any more? How much does that cost now a days?

Hello.
    (1) When I Google this phrase: images of end tables with drawers
    (2) Google returns info.
    (3) I then click on the phrase that Google returned. It says: Images for end tables with drawers
    (4) Google then shows lots and lots of pictures of end tables.

In this mode, I see a wide variety of all sorts of tables with drawers. I click on the photo and then get an option to click on visit website.

Hope this helps.

Duane, what brands do you sell for Livingroom occasional tables, coffee tables and chests, if any? What suggestions would you make to go with a BY, American Drew or H&M sofa? Is Hooker my best bet? Do you jump from that to the 5-10,000.00 hand crafted and custom pieces?

Thank you, RestonDweller, I have found some pics and I found a couple more from your search. I am still having trouble with the price/quality issue. I have found examples from Hooker, American Drew, Hekman, "Fine Furniture Design", and Rachel Ray Home, among others. Surprisingly to me, the Hekman and then the Rachel Ray home were the most expensive, and very few provide many details about construction. All were well under 1000.00, the Hekman being 786. and Rachel Ray 605. My impression has been that furniture that carries a celebrity name is usually poor quality and over priced. I have never heard of Hekman or Fine Furniture Design. I was hoping to go a step up from Hooker. I believe that although American Drew at one time was supposed to be good it is currently also mass produced in China and I don't know if it is now particle board and cardboard. Like Leather sofas, what looks pretty on the outside may be junk on the inside. It would help to have some guidance on brands that might carry that type of thing and still be of good quality. I hope I am able to find a piece that will last, that could be refinished if needed down the road, and that is just a solid piece of furniture. I am trying to get away from throw away stuff. Thanks for your help.

Sue, are you able to post a link to any of the ones that you like the style of? It might help provide some options for you.

I have Hooker side tables, and in my mind it is a mid-tier brand like Bernhardt, etc. You can get an ok product for a decent price but understand it is not high end and the finishes don't last. Still a big step up from junky stuff. Personally after owning these side tables and a Hooker coffee table, next time I am shopping I would look for the next step up also, like you are.

You could look at ones like Stickley, Henredon, Council, Century? Not sure how high in price you want to go. I am sure there are some that slot in between those and Hooker, maybe like a Kincaid or Nichols & Stone? Or could always go custom made too but more hassle in doing that.

I would rather buy just one and get something good than a pair of lesser quality tables. I had hoped to keep it below 1000.00, but could go a little more for something really nice. I don't need a coffee table because I plan to get an ottoman. I want something that is large enough to put a nice lamp on, and a finish that will last. I have had cheap pieces that the finish started to wear through on top just from normal use, without any finish removing spills or anything. The Hooker piece I have is for the TV and still looks fine, but I don't put a lot of things down on it. I need to be able put a coaster and drink, remote or maybe a remote caddy and a lamp on it. It will be next to my favorite seat to watch TV, lol, so it will get regular use, and I want it to look nice, too. Thanks for your help. Online I am finding few real details about how these are constructed and what types of finishes they have. Also not sure of color. I have natural white oak floors and fireplace, will be getting the City Sofa in Cavelier Mocha, and the furniture is all dark stained wood. I don't really see much in lighter finishes for these pieces, though, so I guess it will have to be dark.

For side tables, I have Hooker and Century (as well as Hancock and Moore Occasional).
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Am I correct in suspecting that it probably would not be worth it to ship and I would have to find a local store to order it from? I will have to start checking prices and see. I did not see anything similar in Hancock and Moore or Century.

I wish more sellers carried Fine Furniture Design. I finally found something about their construction and it seems to be more like what I was hoping to find. This is from one seller's website: "woodwork constructed from walnut solids and swirly mahogany veneers and visually enhanced with the addition of maple and ebony veneer inlays "Case detail: "All carvings are hand carved on solid wood with no use of poly or molded components or parts which adds to the integrity of the item and the natural beauty of wood." Case construction: "Framed wooden dust-proofing panels between the drawers for protection of the drawers’ contents and additional strength. Finished wooden back panels are secured with screws, for a refined look to the back of the piece and additional strength." Drawers: "Framed and fit flush with case; constructed with half inch solid wood sides; joined with English dovetails on the front and back of drawer; assembled with glue blocks on underside; crafted to open smoothly on double-shoulder, wood on wood guides; carefully sanded and finished on the inside."

Now, am I missing something they don't say that would indicate the pieces actually do contain MDF or particle board? I know sometimes you have to read between the lines to figure out what they are not telling you is in there.