Thread: H&M Sofa and Recliners on order!

JimR1998 Guest

Default H&M Sofa and Recliners on order!

We've been living with a hand-me-down hodge podge of living room furniture for 15 years and it's beyond beat. We were going through an IKEA one day and the wife was firm that we are getting new furniture this year NO MATTER WHAT. Neither of us ever had leather and didn't want it based their "full genuine leather". Don't remember exactly but an Ikea sofa was over $1600 so not THAT cheap. We gradually made our way to more expensive stores ultimately ending up at Ethan Allen. A fabric sofa and two recliners plus some misc. fees was in the low-$6000 range. It was very nice but didn't feel like a value and we had to make a decision THAT DAY. Too much pressure for a big purchase.

I did some research and saw H&M recommended on a frugal forum site of all places, but as a buy it for life kind of thing. After an unimpressive trip to one dealer who was more interested selling Stickley and Stressless, I called a smaller place further away. Without haggling I got a good price including the 5% sale and didn't have hundreds of dollars in protection plans built in. About 20% more than what EA wanted for their fabric sofa and chairs but feels like a better value.

So... what did we get... Filmore Sofa (tight back) with 2 Greyson Recliners in Gunner Mocha GR1 leather. Bought sight unseen, we could only sit in things that were similar.

This was more my idea than hers. It's way more than we budgeted. I will be spending a lot of time alone in this sofa if it disappoints! It has to be comfortable and it has to last 20 years!

She already has some concern that the color will be too dark and we weren't bold enough to use more than one leather. Some designer along the way kept emphasizing contrasting colors but most of the leather sets had everything the same. Hopefully the dealer is right and pillows will brighten it up.

VERY ANXIOUS FOR IT TO ARRIVE! We have about a 2 month wait.

Duane-- Thank you for all the time you put into this site. You provide a great service to the furniture buying public. If we didn't have a local dealer I'd order from you without hesitation.

Default Re: H&M Sofa and Recliners on order!

Big jump up buying H&M, and Gunner is a good choice. Follow the maintenance procedures here on the forum and you will get 30 years out of those pieces (don't abuse the recliner mechanisms). Its money well spent because of the long lifespan of the items.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.