Thread: Sofa and loveseat set that will stand up to potty training for 4k?

Skrell Guest

Default Sofa and loveseat set that will stand up to potty training for 4k?

Hello,

I am in the market for a sofa and loveseat, but have little ones who are still in the potty training phase. My budget is 4k, and I originally had hoped to buy a King Hickory set. Someone I know purchased a sofa from them, and while it is relatively confortable, I have noticed the fabric is already pilling after two years. My goal is to avoid that type of fabric. I am nervous to make a decision as I don't want to buy something I end up regretting with that much money.

I live in an area where there aren't a lot of choices for quality furniture dealers in that price point. Taylor King is no where nearby, for instance. Wesley Hall is, but I believe it is out of my price point. Unfortunately, traveling a distance to try out furniture is also not an option for our family right now, so I am just plain limited!

Any assistance is appreciated.

Default Re: Sofa and loveseat set that will stand up to potty training for 4k?

My recommendation is to wait until the kids are a little older, as the way I read it “stand up to potty training” means urine accidents on the unit. All fabric is porous, so that means it’s going into the underlying cushion cores. The only material you can get that is water resistant is vinyl. Anything else is going to get ruined with water/urine saturation.

All man made fabrics pill, the worst offenders are usually 100% polyesters, which usually are the least costly as well. Like the saying goes, “you get what you pay for”. I prefer blends of natural fibers with some synthetic fiber in the content O.K.

Wesley Hall makes a nice product. Save a bit and up your budget slightly and that would be a good line for you, keep an eye out for specials the store might run.

If not adverse to mail order,then the Taylor King line is excellent as well.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Skrell Guest

I understand it makes sense to save for a good one down the road. We do actually need something at present. Our current couch is a low end couch that my husband had before we got married, which is literally falling apart (broken frame, porrly repaired rips), in addition to needing extra seating.

I don't know what it costs, but would doing something like Flexsteel be a better choice for where we are at with kids? I understand it isn't as high of quality as what I was originally hoping.

What about microfiber? Some heavy duty microfiber can be almost bullet proof and washable with soap and water. The other option might be a sofa cover of some type. They make washable, water/urine proof pads you could put on the seat cushions, under a throw or other cover, until you get past the potty training stage. Since that will likely only be a couple of years or less, and a good sofa will last more than a decade, it seems worth protecting until then.

Microfiber is just super-fine strands of usually 100% polyester. The only benefit to microfiber is that those fine strands are less likely to trap dirt. It is still a porous material.. Crypton has largely replaced microfiber however it’s still and ease of cleaning thing and not durability or water resistance.

Flexsteel is fine for many, it’s been around a long time. Not a line I would purchase for myself, but it serves fine in its category of basic utility furniture.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.